Main Menu

Cause of door not staying fully closed

Started by 70RTSE383, July 24, 2019, 07:26:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

As it getting close to paint time I am chasing down remaining body issues. My driver door closes fully with no hinge sag. My pass door will close fully but is not held tight against the opening without pressure. There is no evidence of damage, rust etc it's just that the latch (I'm guessing) won't hold it fully closed. What do I do about it?
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Cuda Cody

Are you test fitting them with the seals in place?  Do you have a 2nd door latch mech that you can swap out to test to see if that's the issue?

70 Challenger Lover

I'd try it without door weatherstrips to see if it does close fully. I could see the catch being too far in and with tight door weatherstrips it could be a 1/32 from grabbing. Or readjust the catch out first to verify the latch in the door is actually functioning correctly.

anlauto

Adjust your striker outward, it sounds like the door is only catching on the first "click"
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on July 24, 2019, 07:48:33 PM
Adjust your striker outward, it sounds like the door is only catching on the first "click"

That was my first thought as well... But before adjusting anything just close the door slowly & listen for the second click... Any doubts try the other door...  If it isn't latching to the second click before you loosen the striker put tape directly below the sticker washer & directly behind the striker washer.... That way it doesn't move & you lose the location....

70RTSE383

Yes rubber gaskets are in. No I didn't listen for second click but will compare to driver door. Which part gets adjusted ? The post on the jamb or the mechanism in the door?
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

70 Challenger Lover

The post in the door jamb. The mechanism in the door is fixed. As suggested though, some tape to mark the current location would be helpful. It's probably good up and down and may just need to come out 1/32" just to get that second click.

Once you have that, you might find the door doesn't sit flush with the outside of the quarter panel but one step at a time. New weatherstrips can sometimes cause this issue and take a little time to soften up. First step is to get that door to latch all the way.

tparker

Yup, adjust the striker. It's really the only think that keeps it close. Unless there is something wrong with the actual latch.

I believe you need a star hex key to adjust it. Just loosen it a bit thin it can be moved around quite a bit. Up down and all around. lol. The latch on the door is pretty much fixed by a couple screws, so that won't adjust.