Main Menu

rally wheel paint HELP

Started by pink aar, June 15, 2018, 05:56:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

I just tried to call Totally Auto for some wheel paint. They no longer have it. They told me to call Performance Car Graphic.
Does anyone have any source for the wheel and center cap paint?

Thanks again

autoxcuda

Krylon 1403 dull aluminum matched a set of OE rally rims I saw a friend did recently.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Cuda Cody

You local auto paint store can mix up the factory color and you can spray with with a real gun or they can put it in a rattle can for you.   :alan2cents:

750-h2

As far as the wheels go I bought the Mopar spray cans. Colour looks right on to me! You can get it at any Chrysler dealer.

Lemontwist

Frank Badelson carries the correct wheel paint and center cap textured sparkle paint.
You can also get the wheel paint from Herb's
Drew

70/6chall

AutoxCuda mentioned the Krylon dull aluminum, it's actually a good match. Place the Krylon $ against your Argent specialty paint $$  and I'd be hard pressed to notice a difference, Maybe it's your daily or weekend cruiser to the local burger hangout. I have cleaned and freshened up my rallyes several times in the past 45 years using the Krylon and when I'm done they look great. I'll even hit the wheels with the Krylon satin finish clear and this really gives the paint some depth. I respray the wheel centers with the light astrotone from Dave's Totally Auto (4 cans left). Polish up,the trim rings and the acorn lugs and for a factory wheel they look ready for cruising.    Thanks,   Al

70/6chall

Oh yes!....... I wanted to add here, as we are referencing the painting of Rallye wheels. I hit the back of the wheel with a stove black BBQ type heat resistant paint then a Krylon satin black after that. Idea here is the brakes tend to build up a lot of heat and has a tendency to burn off paint. This will keep down the incidents of rust developing in the bare spots. Don't forget to tape off the holes so you don't overspray to the front of wheel. Not sure how OE this is but I cleaned up my drums and painted them red so I see the color through the holes in the wheels.   Thanks,   Al

YYZ

The silver rallye wheel paint (non textured) is the same as the Ford argent paint from the same years, and they used it much longer.

Your local Ford dealer may stock it, part number was D7AZ19000A (which now supersedes to something else).  It also used to be a few bucks cheaper than the Mopar cans.

As for the textured stuff, Rustoleum used to make a light and dark textured argent, which I suspect may have been what Totally Auto re-labeled anyway.   I think I still have a can here and will try to find it for reference. 

YYZ

I think that this is the Rustoleum stuff...

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/textured-metallic

The 'Excalibur' would be the dark argent.

It's not a 100% match, but certainly presentable.  Actually has more texture than the later NOS dark argent replacement caps from Chrysler which were practically smooth...

Cuda Cody

@pink aar   Here's the PPG mopar ralley wheel color code 3960.  The wheels should be primed black first (front and back).  I use 2 part black epoxy.  Then the Rallye "Silver Poly" is only painted on the front and the back of the wheel is left primer black.  Sample photo is the exact Silver Poly DCC PPG 3960 color (but has aftermarket trim ring).

340challconvert

Why not just go to Dave at Roseville.  They carry the correct paint in an aerosol can.  :deadhorse:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

pink aar

I like paint with a hardener. IT LAST some much longer and it's durability. I perfer to spray my paints with a gun and I prefer a poly paint over a enamel any day of the week.  It's all in choices.

Thanks again  Cody

Cuda Cody

Single part aerosol can (rattle can) paints have a place in our hobby.  They provide an affordable and easy way to apply decent paint.  But they are still a 1 part paint that will not hold up well over time.  2 part paints that use a hardener (same that is used to paint the body panels on a car) will always be superior in terms longevity and durability compared to a 1 part paint.  The difficult part is the 2 part paints cost a lot more and you need special paint gun and clean air to use them.  Most auto paint suppliers can put 3 to 4 ounces of the 2 part paint in a special rattle can that will add the hardener to the paint right before you use it (then it's only good for about 24 hours before it hardens in the rattle can).  It cost about 5 to 10 times what a normal rattle can of paint costs, but gives you the convenience of a rattle car with the quality of a 2 part paint.  :alan2cents:

autoxcuda

Quote from: 340challconvert on June 22, 2018, 09:45:28 AM
Why not just go to Dave at Roseville.  They carry the correct paint in an aerosol can.  :deadhorse:

Cause the MP paint is wrong and has been for years.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

nicka

I was wondering if anyone has the datasheet for the PPG 3960 Silver Poly used to paint the Rallye rims?  I got it delivered with jh6028 hardener and jr555 reducer, but no datasheet.

Thanks