Main Menu

Rallye Hood Repair

Started by nicka, July 04, 2020, 07:58:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Looking over the Rallye hood and there's a lot of rust holes along the inside front of the hood. Has anyone repaired this portion before?  I'm assuming that the inside of the hood can be separated from the top?  So repairable or wall art?

anlauto

With the availability of good condition original hoods and reproduction hoods, I'd say wall art....just not worth the effort in my opinion :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I agree, not worth the hours of work.
Sheldon

nicka

Ok.
Thanks.
I'm heading for Carlisle anyway so I'll be looking for another hood.
As for wall art, I'm thinking FC7 paint.

Katfish

I wouldn't pay someone, but I'd try and fix that before buying an aftermarket hood.

jimynick

The fix or fling issue depends on several factors; your metal working abilities, desire for an oem appearance, time allotment and finally the size and depth of your wallet. Peruse each carefully and realistically and make your own call. Good luck either way.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nicka

I removed the hood inserts(scoops) and looks like I found the original color. If its a '70 hood, then guessing ice blue metallic vehicle.    Some added filler along the top right side near the windshield.  Its got the usual dings. Surface rust on top, but no holes. Its gonna need a media blast for sure. 

anlauto

It's NOT a 1970 hood for sure :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

nicka

How can I found out what year this hood is? 

anlauto

1970 Hoods have unique one year only under bracing without crush zones, that your hood has. All others are pretty similar, except if your hood has factory hood pin holes then it's a 1971 hood only.

nicka

Cool.  Thanks.  While media blasting the top of the hood, I saw the 4 holes along the hood scoop; engine callout.

Jay Bee

Just adding this pic

gzig5

Quote from: nicka on July 05, 2020, 08:43:45 AM
Ok.
Thanks.
I'm heading for Carlisle anyway so I'll be looking for another hood.
As for wall art, I'm thinking FC7 paint.

Where are you located?  I have a pretty decent rallye hood in SE WI. One dent on a scoop I can repair if you want. I think I'm going to stick with the AAR hood on the car.

nicka

I went to Carlisle and picked up a new hood from Ted Stephens. Planning to keep the rallye.  I'll blast and epoxy primer and set it aside.

Thanks

anlauto