Main Menu

re chrome trim

Started by tparker, June 29, 2020, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Anyone have any idea how much it is to rechrome trim? I know it varies but some ball park figures or how much people paid for specific trim. I would like to do a couple pieces and just trying to figure out if it makes any sense for me. Specifically looking at the valance trim. Maybe a couple other pieces if it is cheap enough.

Also, is straightening out dents chrome real expensive? I suspect it would be based on labor. Say 5 hours at $90/hr = a lot.

Thanks
Tom

Burdar

Most of the trim is anodized aluminum not chrome.  Lower front valance trim, hood lip trim and trunk lid(1/4 trim) are aluminum.  The windshield/back glass moldings are stainless.  The side window trim, vinyl top trim and weatherstrip channels are stainless as well.

Door handles, bumpers and antenna bezel are chrome.  The automatic floor shift indicators are chrome.  I bought a reproduction antenna bezel that didn't fit the contour of the fender.  I had my original rechromed for $50 back in 2012.

tparker

Thanks for the info on the trim. I just used chrome as a generic term. But this helps.

That isn't an outrageous price.

6bblgt

most places that restore stainless trim quote based on a $$-figure per foot

the aluminum trim was originally "bright dip anodized" - not sure who if anyone is doing that today, some will straighten and polish (some add clear anodize or clear coat paint with varying results)

challengermaniac

There's a really good video (likely more too) demonstrating the techniques for straitening and finishing stainless to get it looking as good as and better than new.

Can someone locate the video and post it?  May have been on c-c where I saw it.
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5