Main Menu

Rear bumper brackets question

Started by Mrbill426, August 10, 2023, 09:35:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

For a Cuda are the rear bumper brackets the same for all 4 years or was there a change along the way?
I am wondering if our car has the wrong ones because there seems to be a pretty wide gap showing on the ends between the bumper and the step in the quarters. Not troubling, just curious.

Thanks

anlauto

1970, 1971, 1972 all shared the same rear bumper brackets, 1973 was different, as they added the bumper filler and the bumper guards, I believe 1974 were the same as 1973, but I could be wrong on that.

Your side gap should 3/4'' or so, maybe 7/8''....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@anlauto It is probably right at 7/8".

Do the '73 brackets stand the bumper further off the body?  Would they fit a '72 bumper bolt pattern?

Quote from: anlauto on August 10, 2023, 10:09:59 AM
1970, 1971, 1972 all shared the same rear bumper brackets, 1973 was different, as they added the bumper filler and the bumper guards, I believe 1974 were the same as 1973, but I could be wrong on that.

Your side gap should 3/4'' or so, maybe 7/8''....

Rich G.

@Mrbill426 The 73 bumper won't bolt to a 72 bracket. The holes are in a different place. So I'd say the 72 bumper won't bolt to a 73 bracket. I found that out when I bought a 73 bumper from AMD and called them to say the holes are wrong, that's when he said I have 72 brackets on!

Mrbill426

@Rich G. Hmmmm... could it have a '73 bracket/bumper combination on it?  It goes back to whether the '73+ brackets stay the bumper further away from the body.  If not it's a moot point anyway.

Quote from: Rich G. on August 10, 2023, 11:06:45 AM
@Mrbill426 The 73 bumper won't bolt to a 72 bracket. The holes are in a different place. So I'd say the 72 bumper won't bolt to a 73 bracket. I found that out when I bought a 73 bumper from AMD and called them to say the holes are wrong, that's when he said I have 72 brackets on!

Rich G.

@Mrbill426 My guess would me the 73 brackets push the bumper out further to allow for the filler strip to fit better the bumper and tail panel. That's why people put on the earlier bumper brackets to remove the filler strip and move the bumper in.

anlauto

That looks good to me. 73-74 is way different like maybe 2" from the body
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration