Main Menu

Rear Crossmember to Trunk Floor Fitment

Started by nicka, June 22, 2020, 12:51:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Currently dry fitting the back half of a 71 Barracuda.  I noticed gaps between the rear crossmember and trunk floor.  I looked at some original pics and noticed that the trunk floor butts up against the rear crossmember. Gaps varied between 1/4 ~ 3/8.  Currently, the tail panel fits tight.  The two tabs on the bottom of the tail panel is bending against the trunk floor extension.  Planning to hammer down the trunk floor to the rear crossmember.  Hoping this will fix the tail panel issue.

jimynick

Personally, I'd pull the trunk floor out and re-set that rear edge before I tried pounding the floor down to the xmember. Aesthetics plays a role here and having your nice, new trunk floor with a couple of dozen dents in it may not be the way to go. I'd also start in the middle and either screw or Cleco the two together to see if working out towards the ends doesn't help. You've got the right idea in putting the whole thing together and getting your fit before any welding's done.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nicka

I just checked the new trunk floor and looks like it sticks out 1 3/4" out from the crossmember. It starts out flat, then angles up passed the crossmember, then up to meet the tail panel.  I kept my old crossmember that has a piece of the old floor and its flat and sticks out 1 3/4" from the crossmember, then straight up to meet the tail panel.   The new trunk floor fell right in.  Tight against the wheel wells and back seat. I have to remove the floor anyway so I can weld the trunk floor braces.

anlauto

You would want to test fit your rear bumper at this point :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on June 23, 2020, 09:38:47 AM
You would want to test fit your rear bumper at this point :alan2cents:
:iagree: :iagree:  Yep, and your deck lid, too! :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nicka

I tighten up the quarters to the Dutchman and laid the deck lid. The gaps between the left and right quarters look ok. Its a paint stick gap. Not sure about the gap between the deck lid and Dutchman? Looks like two paint sticks wide.  I'm guessing this may change once I attach the deck lid. As for the gap between the trunk floor and rear crossmember, looks like the trunk floor it bows up on each side.  I'll just clamp it down when I get to welding phase.