Main Menu

Dip it Now or Later?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 04, 2020, 09:58:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I posted this on the Facebook page too.

Working on metal repairs today before the next storm comes in. When I got the car, it was in such bad shape that I didn't even want to move it around much until I made a few repairs to key areas like frame rails. My original plan was to clean and paint areas like you see in this photo. It's surface rust but it demonstrates that there is really no area on the car anymore with protection. As I fit the rear quarters, I'm thinking that maybe I should have the car dipped just to eliminate the surface rust hidden inside areas I can never reach, like under the roof skin C pillars.

I know there are lots of debates on dip vs. sandblast but this car probably needs dip just to reach all those hidden areas. I want to do this car right and keep it forever so I can't justify alternate methods just to save a few bucks on the front end.

So, question is: do I stop now and dip as is? My thought is to finish building the rear and make a really solid shell first, then dip the whole thing followed by quality body and paint in and out. I don't know enough about the pros and cons of dipping but I hate the idea of stopping mid point and hauling a half finished car off to a dipper, then bring it back and do more cutting and fabrication while it collects moisture and rusts again. Without finishing the rear, I can't even put it on a dolly to move it around.

I could use a clear point of view here.

RUNCHARGER

My opinion is to do all the repairs and then dip it. Why dip it, dip coat it and then grind and weld afterwards.
Sheldon

71CudaGA4

1 Wild R/T

Have you located anyone that dips cars in Southern California?  Last I heard there aren't any..... Beyond that after you finish your repairs...

B5fourspeed

I have  4 casters from harbor freight and with some steel and angle iron you can make  some brackets that bolt into the front bumper bracket holes and for the rear they connect to the front leaf hanger locations.

JS29

That is one way to do it.  :bigthumb:

70 Challenger Lover

I have some cool dolly set ups for painting but they require a front leaf sprint mount which I don't have at the moment. Once the rails and floor are in and tied into the new wheel housings which also aren't in yet, then I can finish all that and I'm even adding torque boxes. 

I'm very much liking the idea of dipping it after I finish my repairs. It will be soooo much easier to man handle around at that point.

I don't know about dippers. I know there's one up in Oregon or Washington but can't find one down here. I know of a couple shops that send their cars out fork dipping so maybe there is someone who doesn't advertise much?

Rich G.

Is there anyone that dips it in an E coat after it's dipped and stripped?

70 Challenger Lover

That would be great. I know whatever finish they leave it in, ive heard body shop guys say it preserves the metal for years indoors. I guess once you wipe it down, it's bare again. I'll be happy to know every speck of rust is out of every crevice. Then, I'd seal the crap out of every nook and cranny followed by a good sealer. I'd spray that stuff into every opening.