Main Menu

Rear Left Frame Rail: Repair of Replace

Started by nicka, February 15, 2020, 09:26:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Working on the back half of a '71 Barracuda and the Rear Left Frame Rail has got some rust.  Repair of replace?

b5cuda

I replaced that end section (not the whole frame rail) on my car and it wasn't as bad as yours.

RUNCHARGER

I would just do the end section if the rest of the rail is truly rust free. Any question on the rest of it though and I would replace it complete.
Sheldon

nicka

Followed the rear left frame rail and forwards the front and theres a section that either needs to be fixed or the whole rail needs to be replaced.

RUNCHARGER

It's quite a bit more work now but I would replace the complete rail.
Sheldon

kathyscuda

no way ,, they sell the 2 foot section. cut what you need.

6bblgt

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 15, 2020, 10:45:15 AM
It's quite a bit more work now but I would replace the complete rail.

:iagree: both ends need replaced - not going to be a whole lot left in the middle - do it all in one piece  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

If you fix the front and you fix the rear it will be more work than just changing the whole rail at once. You'll also have twice the chance of screwing it up.
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

For me, I'd replace. Do it once, do it right, then drive with confidence. I always wondered too, how much torque is applied to those since the leaf springs attach to it.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

BFM_Cuda

I vote to replace it. You will have a stronger rail and it will take less time. You are going through a lot of work on this car, take the extra step and do it right the first time. You will be glad you did.

anlauto

Quote from: BFM_Cuda on February 15, 2020, 08:47:22 PM
I vote to replace it. You will have a stronger rail and it will take less time. You are going through a lot of work on this car, take the extra step and do it right the first time. You will be glad you did.

:iagree: couldn't agree more..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

nicka

On the Left Rear Frame Rail, what is this bolt hole used for?

Dmod1974

Later years like mine mounted the rear seat belt buckle there instead of a bracket on the wheelhouse.