Main Menu

Reproduction Front Fenders vs Original

Started by 71vert340, September 25, 2017, 08:29:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I have an original pair of 70/71 front fenders (without notch) that I've been storing for over 30 years. Several years ago I asked the question of whether I should sell these original fenders and store a set of new repros. I was told the repros require several hours of work to be great and to keep my original ones. These original fenders are in really good shape. Have the repros improved in quality?
Terry

Shane Kelley

Yes they have gotten better. But still nowhere near as good as originals. One of the big downsides to the repops is the strength of the steel. They dent pretty easy compared to the originals. While they have gotten better with fitment they still require a lot of labor to look nice. I doubt you will ever see a repop with the quality of OEM.

pink aar

Original ALL DAY LONG. I bought  3 sets, before I found the ones I wanted. All 3 fit great, but it seems that the next set was better than the last set (damage or rust). Original will always fit better. I guess that's why these MOPARS cost so much.  I need a money sign here to post . MONEY AND MORE MONEY

MoparDave

Well. I would use the OEM fenders over replacement any day. Simply because you already have them and they haven't cost you much. New fenders if available as Shane pointed out will need work and cost about 1100 +/-. NONE of them are perfect. regardless of AMD DII Goodmark, Sherman Goldstar ect ect. in reality there are only 3 major stampers in Taiwan.  they all eventually share stock.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Rich G.

I cut up a new AMD fender to repair my original one that's how bad they were for me.

Cuda Cody

Originals are WAAAAAAY better then repops.  But repops are sometimes the only option and I'm happy to use them when I have to.  But if you have originals, HANG on to them!!!!

RUNCHARGER

I'm glad they repro the fenders but given a choice I will do repair work on an original and use it before a repro.
Sheldon

71vert340

Looks like I'll be keeping them then. I sold a pair of 72-74 Challenger fenders with no rust but dented for $250 for the pair and the guy snapped them up fast a couple of years ago. I sold a pair of 70-71 Challenger fenders that had rust problems on the headlight buckets but not on the fenders for $300 for the pair a year ago. They went fast too! Guess I gave them a good deal.
Terry

340challconvert

Hey 71vert340
I wish you lived closer
I have an original NOS pair of 70-71 Challenger fenders with the 71 notch that I bought in 1980
Would love to be able to trade for the 70 fenders w/o that notch
Factory stickers and stenciled numbers still on back
I have a 70 A66 Challenger convertible that my fenders would be going on.
But I'm in New Jersey and you are in Washington State? Shipping would be way too prohibitive.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

71vert340

Hmm. There's a good chance I'll be driving our truck to Wash. DC in November to help my son move to there. I might be able to put them in the truck or I may be renting a trailer for the move. Hmm..

340challconvert

Could be a possibility for a trade of NOS fenders. 
Do you have any pics of the fenders?
Mine are both NOS w numbers and stickers on the back.  Never been primed or painted, one in factory black prime and the other in factory gray.
Some minor surface rust from sitting around.
We could further on this.
Phil

ksierens

I would weld a patch into the notch on the front of your NOS fenders and just use them. I also put a set of those fenders on my 70, that I also bought back in the early 80's, but just left the notch, and yes, I know I am going to hear about it at every show I ever go to.  No comparison to the repops.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

340challconvert

Quote from: ksierens on September 27, 2017, 07:01:51 AM
I would weld a patch into the notch on the front of your NOS fenders and just use them. I also put a set of those fenders on my 70, that I also bought back in the early 80's, but just left the notch, and yes, I know I am going to hear about it at every show I ever go to.  No comparison to the repops.

That was a suggestion that someone else also made.
I'm not so concerned about using the new fenders with the notch and being totally "correct" with my car.
It should be simple to weld a small patch in that area.

My original fenders: I sold the driver's side off years ago thinking I had the NOS replacements
My right side original was still on the car.  Both original fenders needed a small patch at the bottom (like so many do)
If I change them out, I would just prefer to use the two new NOS fenders so at least they both have the 71 notch.
Also, my NOS fender's part numbers are 624-625 which I think were original replacements for the TA fenders in 1980, meaning they would better fit 15" wheels which came standard on my A66 early build Challenger. My original fenders never had a problem with the 15" rallye wheels that came on the car.
I'm thinking more along the lines of just leaving the notch alone and using them.

71vert340

Use your NOS fenders on your convertible. Mine are not NOS but in very good condition and have been stored for over 30 years. They're my go to fenders in case my convertible or hardtop ever get in an accident.
Terry

340challconvert

Quote from: 71vert340 on September 28, 2017, 10:51:29 AM
Use your NOS fenders on your convertible. Mine are not NOS but in very good condition and have been stored for over 30 years. They're my go to fenders in case my convertible or hardtop ever get in an accident.
Terry

71vert340
It was an exciting thought while it lasted. :wrenching:
Never realized how many different 70-71 Challenger fenders there were?
Phil