Main Menu

Restoring Cuda emblem

Started by nsmall, May 27, 2017, 02:03:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

For this one I was thinking of putting some petroleum jelly on the Chrome part (burdar wrote about this once) and then spraying the sem black trim paint on this and then wiping the jelly off.

Got any better ideas?

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

You could do that, but I've seen the jelly get over the edge & mask where you don't need masked.... I'd use the rag technique from the other post....

Burdar

I used the jelly on my Challenger emblem. When I redid my Darts seat medallions, I just sprayed the entire piece black. Then I put lacquer thinner in a rag and wiped off the paint where it didn't need to be. Both worked just fine. I guess maybe the design of the emblem would dictate which process I'd try.

Slotts

Here is a way I have done emblems. I did this one for Jackie (Donotchallengeher) when I restored her 71 Challenger grille some time ago.

Aircraft Remover to strip the paint.
Polished the chrome as good as it could be.
Base coat of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter
Black acid etching primer

To remove the reveal of the chrome edges on the front lettering, I used an X-Acto knife. Lightly scraping with the edge backwards many times in the same area, feeling the blade just making its way through the paint layers, enabled me to get a straight line on the external and internal arc sides of the top lettering. Removing what was left between them after all of that. This is an edited picture I made of before, stripped and finished.

With the `Cuda emblem, I would be tempted to try something a little different. Since the face of the lettering is relatively flat, I would use a piece of masking tape against the face of the letters and use the same process as above by shooting from the sides with an air brush.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

nsmall

@MoparDave

Thanks everyone.  Dave, do you sell a adhesive sticker that goes on the back of this Cuda emblem or do I have to buy both a new emblem and the adhesive sticker together?

Thanks again.

Neil

Topcat

Quote from: nsmall on May 27, 2017, 04:53:46 PM
@MoparDave

Thanks everyone.  Dave, do you sell a adhesive sticker that goes on the back of this Cuda emblem or do I have to buy both a new emblem and the adhesive sticker together?

Thanks again.

Neil

No one is going to have the original 3M pre made, shaped double sticky foamy rubber tape for the Cuda emblem.

I had some leftover and I taped the emblem down.
Slowly using an Exacto blade, I cut the tape around the perimeter of the emblem.

Taking my time, it came out very close.
Wear Bi focals or a magnifying glass to look closely and be patient.

The new emblems I understand are now studded and you would need to drill holes.

nsmall

Thanks again everyone.  Thanks Topcat.  Sounds like something I will enjoy.  I like odd jobs like that.

MoparDave

Quote from: nsmall on May 27, 2017, 04:53:46 PM
@MoparDave

Thanks again.

Neil

I have new emblems. but if your emblem is fine then ask your body shop for some 3m 2 sided sticky tape for moldings, razor blade off excess, all good.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

JS29

:iagree:with dave, that is what I do.

Bpret

I used SEM trim black spray the hole thing. Let it dry overnight. Staple a piece of 600 wet sand paper to a bench get paper wet with a spray bottle put emblem face down on paper move back and fourth till all black is off letters. It kinda has a grain to it from factory go long ways not up and down.

Cuda Cody

SEM Trim Black is a GREAT product.   :yes:

mopar jack

Paint it black with SEM then use lacquer thinner on very flat towel like a sheet to remove excess. Check out my new hat.

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

That's really cool Mopar Jack!
Sheldon

Claudia

I restored all of my Cuda emblems the same way . . . I painted the entire emblem black, let it sit just long enough to start to get tacky and then use lacquer thinner on a rag (wrapped around a paint stick) to wipe off the letters.