Main Menu

Restoring tail panel Plymouth emblem

Started by nsmall, May 27, 2017, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I don't need it to look perfect but I was thinking of spraying some sem black trim paint on this emblem and then using some 300 grit sandpaper or something close to 300  to knock the black paint off of the "By Plymouth" lettering. 

Is there any better options?

This ain't no trailer Queen, but I am trying to keep some of this restoration OEM.

Thanks

1 Wild R/T

Start by cleaning it throughly with a toothbrush & your cleaner of choice.... Then polish the chrome with some #0000 steel wool.... Next you can spray it, then once dry use a rag stretched tight over your finger with a drop of lacquer thinner on the cloth, you'll be able to wipe the paint off of the high areas....

Or option two which works very well... Get a small syringe like diabetics use for insulin...  pull the plunger & pour paint into the syringe... Use the needle to lay paint exactly where it needs to be, this technique works amazingly well... If you don't use it on this emblem which honestly isn't intricate enough to need the syringe method... You should try it on something else just so you see how well it works.... 

nsmall

WildRT. Hard to tag you.  Not sure what im doing wrong.

How long should I let the paint dry before trying option A with the lacquer thinner?  I was thinking of using SEM black trim paint and laying down a few coats.  Not sure if 3 coats is going to make removing the paint off the lettering a nightmare.  Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

Let the paint dry for at least an hour.... As Jim Slotts mentioned in your other thread, the exact knife method works too...

RUNCHARGER

I like the thinner method as well. If you muff it up it's easy to have another go at it as well.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

If there is a space in someones user name in the first 3 characters then you need to type it all out or copy and paste it after the "@" symbol.  It will not show up in the drop down if it has spaces in the first 3 letters, but it will correctly tag the member and let them know you mentioned them.  Like this:  @1 Wild R/T

Quote from: nsmall on May 27, 2017, 11:25:45 PM
WildRT. Hard to tag you.

Aar1064

I use the lacquer thinner method for things like this only I wipe with a thin paper towel like the blue ones at the auto parts stores wrapped tightly around a semi-hard rubber block. You really just need something that has a semi-hard flat surface to better control the surface as you wipe. Oh and I let the thinner evaporate a little before committing.

nsmall

Thanks everyone.  I cant express how much I appreciate you all.  I hate doing things twice and spending money twice.  With you all I am reducing my chances from messing this up as time and money are limited.  THANKS!!!!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: nsmall on May 28, 2017, 03:02:06 PM
Thanks everyone.  I cant express how much I appreciate you all.  I hate doing things twice and spending money twice.  With you all I am reducing my chances from messing this up as time and money are limited.  THANKS!!!!

You own an E body, money will always be limited.... :haha:   There was a time a the waitresses I knew hated serving Corvette guys cause they rarely tipped & were always broke because the cars always needed something..... These days Corvettes are pretty cheap compared to E bodies..   Hope my waitresses don't think I'm cheap just cause I'm broke...

Claudia

I restored all of my Cuda emblems the same way . . . I painted the entire emblem black, let it sit just long enough to start to get tacky and then use lacquer thinner on a rag (wrapped around a paint stick) to wipe off the letters.

Shane Kelley

Same technique here. I masked the outer chrome frame and sprayed SEM trim black on the face. I wrap a real thin piece of cloth on a small piece of 1/2 pvc tubing that was about a 1" long. I stretch the cloth real tight and just dampened with thinner and used a gentle rolling motion to remove top surface of lettering. I did here that OER are getting close to having these reproduced.

Mrbill426

So is the background on these emblems supposed to always be black?  I ask because the one that came off our car is brownish. :clueless:

57Fury440

It is a brownish color because it is faded and should be black.  I believe that the newer Barracudas had them with a silver background. The one on my son's '74 has one with a silver background.

anlauto

Nice ones are now available in reproductions  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

Has anyone tried this method of lacquer thinner when restoring the "plymouth division" dog dish hubcaps?