Main Menu

RH firewall dented or shaped correctly?

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 26, 2020, 01:20:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Now that we got the cash out and the heater removed,  we found some rust holes in the RH end of the firewall just outside of the inner fender.  It almost looks like there might be some old collection damage there.   Or,  is the corner of the firewall supposed to bump in like that?

Cuda Cody

Looks like a boo boo to me.  But that does not mean that it wasn't put there by the factory.   :notsure:

JS29

Looks like old collision damage to me. Hammer and dolly time, start at the shallow end's and work your way to the center. Two person job by the look of the place it's in.  :alan2cents:

jimynick

Yep, what the man said. Start by taking a cross peen hammer or a blunt chisel and walk the bent flange at the outer edge, out to where it should be and flat again; then start to knock out the rest of the dent. A piece of wood and mallet can be your friend here, but take it easy or you'll stretch it and have to learn how to shrink! LOL.  Oh yeah, remove the undercoat before you get into it. A propane torch carefully handled works or a heat gun as well.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Wow..can't believe the splash shields were held on with that type of hardware :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration