Main Menu

Rules for a rotisserie.

Started by Swamp Donkey, January 11, 2021, 08:00:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

I have my car mounted on a rotisserie as of yesterday.  Just curious of a few do's and don'ts.  Such as, can I replace my floor pan while it is on it.  How about the USCartool stage 2 while it's on the rotisserie.  Also just leaving it dangling on the rotisserie for a couple of weeks.  Am I better off to lower the car onto some jack stands while I'm not working on it, but leaving it still mounted to rotisserie.  Been scraping off undercoating all day.  Yippee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Swamp Donkey

Back mounts I built for rotisserie.

1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Swamp Donkey

And the front mounts.

1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

soundcontrol

It's recommended that the car is on it's suspension when you add subframe connectors. And I would not change the floorpan on a rotisserie.
When mine was on the rotisserie I kept it sideways all the time while not working on it, and I had bracing inside the car. (Convertible)
Look what happened to a friend of mines Cuda convertible when some company added subframe connectors and changed floorpans with no
attention to the doors etc.

Rich G.

I've only cleaned and painted the bottom of the car on a rotisserie. I wouldn't cut or replace anything on it. All the panels are holding the car together.

BFM_Cuda

Quote from: Rich G. on January 12, 2021, 05:13:39 AM
I've only cleaned and painted the bottom of the car on a rotisserie. I wouldn't cut or replace anything on it. All the panels are holding the car together.

Agreed, only use it for cleaning/painting....  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Never owned one... Been offered a couple for free... Passed... Not a fan...

Swamp Donkey

My car is still on the rotisserie.  I now have floor pans, Usct stage 2 frame strengthening kit and the SST magnum 6 speed kit that requires modifications to the trans tunnel.  Am I good to do the floor pans, trans tunnel and uscartool kit if I just lower the car onto basically 4 jack stands off the rotisserie  or do I need some sort of frame dolly if that makes sense.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 12, 2021, 09:28:16 PM

Brother from another Mother.....same here 50+ cars now, never any on a BBQ spit  :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Swamp Donkey

I'm figuring that I have to take it off the rotisserie by reading the uscartools instructions.  I will get it done without it pretzeling up too bad.

1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

torredcuda

Quote from: anlauto on June 25, 2021, 02:20:17 PM

Brother from another Mother.....same here 50+ cars now, never any on a BBQ spit  :drinkingbud:

How many of those have you had to scrape undercoat off by hand or sand, prep, prime and paint laying on your back on?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70 Top Banana

I am another guy who has not used one but I have a buddy who has one and used his several times. He uses it to clean the underside and some other minor things and he does keep it on it's side for the most part. He had a convertible and did not use it even after bracing the car.

anlauto

Quote from: torredcuda on June 25, 2021, 04:48:55 PM
Quote from: anlauto on June 25, 2021, 02:20:17 PM

How many of those have you had to scrape undercoat off by hand or sand, prep, prime and paint laying on your back on?

All of them....at least I scraped the undercoat off, then I send it to the sandblasters and to the body shop for the rest of the work..The last Challenger I had painted was put on one at the body shop, but that was a first for me...

I'm not against using them, but I just don't have the money or the space for one, so I make do without..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

larry4406

I have a 71 vert barracuda.

I built triangular metal welded braces to span the door openings. Connected the dash area to one of the vert top mount bolt holes and the other to one of the rear seat bolt holes. Did this for both doors. Car on all 4 wheels and doors close good with good gaps. Then put it on a rotisserie (removed front sub frame and rear axle). Welded in US Cartool frame connectors while on rotisserie; body was perpendicular to floor.

Back on the ground on all 4's and no change.

Maybe I got lucky or the braces were key. I got the brace ideas from some restoration pictures from a firm down south, Clark something.

soundcontrol

Quote from: anlauto on June 26, 2021, 09:11:29 AM
All of them....at least I scraped the undercoat off, then I send it to the sandblasters and to the body shop for the rest of the work..The last Challenger I had painted was put on one at the body shop, but that was a first for me...

I'm not against using them, but I just don't have the money or the space for one, so I make do without..

You don't need one Alan, you got your magic cart that floats the car in the air!  :rubeyes: