Main Menu

Seam Sealant

Started by wldgtx, September 25, 2017, 11:27:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

wldgtx

What do you guys use after putting new floor pans in to seal the seams?  I have used several in the past, but I am curious if there is something more correct for the Mopars than an Eastwood product.

Thanks for the help!
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

Cuda Cody

I use the 3M Seal Sealers and love them. 

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/748685O/seam-sealer-sell-sheet.pdf

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Urethane-Seam-Sealer?N=5002385+8709313+8710891+8711413+3293242000&rt=rud

They also make 2 part sealers, but I like the flexibility of that single part sealer.  Seal all seams.  The factory used a sloppy fast way to put it on, but if you want a nice even seam you can use wax and grease remover on your finger to smooth it out as you go and it will look show car perfect.

@Shane Kelley  would most likely have a lot more experience with other seam sealers and might have some more good ones to suggest.

wldgtx

I did a search and saw that you had liked the 3M product.  I have no loyalty to any product, but I am NOT impressed with the Eastwood product at all.

Thanks for the feedback.

Shane Kelley

:wave:
My favorite is the 2 part 3M 08308.  You have to work fast using it but really lays down nice for sealing small sheet metal overlaps. (places the factory didn't do) Keep it small and thin and it's very hard to see once it's painted.   You can apply it heavier if you want the thicker build look also. Have to use a special gun to use.

For the factory heavy look on floor plans and other heavy build areas I sometimes use 3M 08505. It's the least expensive of the group. It skins over faster than I like so that's it's downside. So work fast brushing this one out. Uses standard caulk gun to apply.

Another one that works pretty good and brushes out nice is the Evercoat 202572. Give a little more working time than the other ones. Same deal here on a special gun needed. Uses the same as the 3M 2 part seam sealers and epoxies.

Here's the key trick for making seam sealer look good. For big seams I tape 3 acid brushes together. Smaller ones just 2.
Apply a long even bead 1 section at a time. Say half the floor from hump to edge. Take your brush and pull it across with 1 stroke only. DO NOT go back over it again. It will start to rough up and look knarly. Practice on something to figure out how big the bead needs to be and how much time you have before it starts locking up. Like everything. The hotter the temp the faster it locks up.  Pics are 08505.

anlauto

What every you use, make sure you put it on thick and messy....I had when people have super clean straight lines of seam sealer....it looks so wrong ! :o :angry:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Like this?  Is this messy enough?   :pokeeye:   :bigthumb:

Quote from: anlauto on September 25, 2017, 01:04:10 PM
What every you use, make sure you put it on thick and messy....I had when people have super clean straight lines of seam sealer....it looks so wrong ! :o :angry:

303 Mopar

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 25, 2017, 02:18:32 PM

You guys are way too prim and proper.....

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on September 25, 2017, 02:18:32 PM

NO :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wldgtx

Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the fast responses.  Great pics Shane!

pink aar

Wldgtx
    Here is how I did my sealer in my trunk. I did a big detail description this morning, but it wouldn't post. It should be nasty like a 3 year old did it.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: pink aar on September 27, 2017, 05:24:29 AM
Wldgtx
    Here is how I did my sealer in my trunk. I did a big detail description this morning, but it wouldn't post. It should be nasty like a 3 year old did it.
While this would be more correct to match the factory look and would make Alan very proud.
I prefer the clean and smooth look. It's just how I roll! Yes my stuff is over restored because I'm shooting for perfection.
In my twisted mind I always try and do it better than anybody else including the factory. I'm not saying my work is better than everyone else. But I try.  Just how I'm wired.

pink aar

Shane, how did you do your front floors?? 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: pink aar on September 27, 2017, 07:07:29 AM
Shane, how did you do your front floors??

Pretty much the same and then covered it with this.

wldgtx

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

You guys do some really nice work!

Msbaugh440

Old post... I know. What material is that you covered your floor with? I'll be at this stage soon and was thinking about dynamat or something similar like this