Main Menu

seam sealer

Started by GoMangoBoys, April 18, 2020, 07:31:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ec_co

Quote from: Skid Row on April 20, 2020, 11:25:18 AM
:o 2016 E-150 Ford Van "Door Skin" on my company van. I'm not convinced on panel bonding.

.... welll, it IS a Ferd ......  :P

really though, like anything there are occasional QC issues in production and you'll see stuff like that, but in general there are literally millions of cars on the road built with the stuff and you don't see them dropping panels all over the place or flopping in the wind due to failure.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

JS29

Quote from: Skid Row on April 20, 2020, 11:25:18 AM
:o 2016 E-150 Ford Van "Door Skin" on my company van. I'm not convinced on panel bonding.
[/quote  @Skid Row  Is that factory or was the door re-skinded? It looks like it wasn't pinched tight enough.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

This one had quarters and trunk floor panel bonded 15 or so years ago. The 572 hasn't ripped it apart yet.
Sheldon

usraptor

Not endorsing any of these shows as doing things correctly and recognize them for what they are; but several of the restoration shops on TV are using the panel bond adhesive with apparently good success.   :alan2cents: :bricks:  :vipermanhiding:

jimynick

It'd be better if you went to Google 3m panel bond and looked around, but the 38315 product specifically mentions roof panels and it's reasonably priced. They differ from job to job and final result. It's been a few years and I don't recall the exact one I used, but don't let that throw you off. If you go this way, feel free to send all we bonding guys a thanks! when it's all over.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

GoMangoBoys

I picked up our new roof skin today at Summit.  I also ordered a panel bond gun and 8115 tube.  We will give it a whirl.

jimynick

Quote from: GoMangoBoys on April 22, 2020, 04:57:12 PM
I picked up our new roof skin today at Summit.  I also ordered a panel bond gun and 8115 tube.  We will give it a whirl.
Good for you! You'll like it and it'll make the job go quicker and smoother, too!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

This was the self leveling sealer I used in the drip troughs after I spot welded in the new roof skin. I was super happy with the ease of use and quality finish it left behind. Almost no work to get it ready for paint and new vinyl top.

JS29

That company makes good products! :yes:

Dmod1974

Since you're buying the gun already, check out the 2 part 3M Heavy Bodied Seam Sealer.  Not cheap, but awesome stuff.  It doesn't shrink much, applies and tools easily, and seems tough as nails yet flexible.