Main Menu

Seeking 'Cuda filler neck install tips

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, December 06, 2017, 04:28:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

I have my fuel tank out chasing a low fuel pressure issue and while I am at it, I am looking to fix my fuel filler neck. Since day one I have had a leak on the filler neck when the tank is completely full, it appeared to be between the grommet and the tank.

I have bought another, little more expensive "Mopar authentic restoration part" filler neck grommet to try.
  • Is it advised to apply some RTV to seal the grommet to the tank?
  • Have you ever had to seal the neck to the grommet? I think I have read to try white lithium grease here
  • Any other pro-tips?
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

I have never used a sealant of any sort there, the better quality grommet should do the job. Gasoline will eat most anything anyway.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

And gasoline definitely attacks RTV...  Hopefully the better grommet solves it, I've always lubed with WD40 & slid it together, never a problem....

Plumcrazzy

Some type of lube will surely help the assembly. I would not use a sealant. WD40, White Lithium, Vaseline, maybe even a dry lube like graphite. Try to use something that can be wiped away without a residue.  :alan2cents:

Topcat

My first one leaked there too.

I used Vaseline since it would be gas friendly in the  system.

I brought the tank up almost tightened but slightly hanging at an angle.

Then put the tube in, tighten a little, push tube a little.
Repeat process.

No force was needed and went in fine this way.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I just used some Vaseline on the tube.( Challenger?) Don't use RTV it is not compatible with gas.

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks for the input all! Fuel pressure is fixed, awaiting my new grommet.  :wrenching:

I had the pump shift in the tank and come loose, I was running at 11psi according to my logs at WOT!  :thumbdown:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs