Main Menu

Seeking Dutchman panel replacement advice...

Started by 7E-Bodies, January 26, 2020, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok, I'll start with I've never replaced a Dutchman before. I have however done numerous quarter panels and door skins and have a lot of experience in plug welding body panels. I currently have both quarters off for replacement with new AMD complete panels and the left is already tweaked to a perfect fit with the sheet metal screw holes to assure alignment with the rest of the pre aligned body. I still have to begin the arduous task of bringing the right quarter into exact fit. Deck lid previously and currently aligned to both original quarters. I figured this was a good time to hit up the group for advice. I'll apologize ahead of time if this software turns pics upside down (frustrating as hell  :pullinghair: ). By the way, I've discovered the original had been patched when I ran a mirror along the package tray looking up under the rear windshield channel. Fair work, but I don't trust it with a vinyl top going back on this car. New Dutchman is AMD by the way, with typical competitive price and rapid shipping (plug for @MoparDave ) Any hints appreciated.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Cuda Cody

Are you using the doors for alignment for the quarter panel fit? What I'm asking is what factory anchor point are you using to make sure the quarter panels are where they should be?

7E-Bodies

@Cuda Cody Yes, doors, factory Dutchman, tail panel, trunk gutters and deck lid. All were perfectly aligned. I began the whole project by weighting the doors at 52# each, digging out my door/trunk seal stash, and aligning every panel for weeks, in my OCD format. I then removed the left quarter (poorly patched long ago) completely and fitted precisely the AMD replacement, locking it down first with clamps, then sheet metal screws so I could remove and replace it exactly where I had it. Now I have the right quarter off (also poorly patched) and everything cleaned up and dollied for fitment when I discovered the issue with the Dutchman. I don't want to weld quarters on and find the new Dutchman is too long or short, so I'm kind of stuck. Dutchman was a surprise. It looks good out of the box though. I'd also guess removal of the original Dutchman will knock the deck lid out of alignment as well.

Cuda Cody

Call me early this week.  I'll walk you through some things.  Also, make sure you test fit your rear window.

7E-Bodies

Ok. I'll give you a shout at some point. I do have the original back window.

jimynick

With your stating that you had the replacement 1/4's fitting with the deck lid well, why wouldn't you hang the 1/4's- not welding them- and then remove the upper trunk panel (sorry, that's what we call them) and make it fit your hung/fitted 1/4's? Mark the lower edge where the oem panel meets the 1/4's and install the new panel on those marks, since they were correct for fit previously. Pretty straight up job. You've got this.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JS29

@jimynick beat me to it, you got this. The only thing to fear is fear it's self.  :bigthumb:

rhamson

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 26, 2020, 05:01:32 PM
Call me early this week.  I'll walk you through some things.  Also, make sure you test fit your rear window.
Absolutely test fit the window and trim :iagree:

Ifixmycarmyself

How did turn out for you, did you manage to replace the dutchman panel. I did this job on my car but the AMD was about 1/4 inch to long compared to original. had to hammer and dolly the edge down making a new edge. otherwise I would have had 1/2 inch wide gaps between trunk lid and quarters.

Flatdad

In case anyone wondered, Goodmark brand dutchman panels for Challengers are also too long.

7E-Bodies

Glad you asked and shared your findings as well. Mine looks about 1/8" long and truthfully, it's been delayed as I found a couple other small issues to take care of first. I'm OCD as hell in making sure everything is perfect before proceeding, so a two hour body shop job can go two months with me. I figure I'll have to bring in the edges as well, but both of my AMD quarters are fitted and only held by sheet metal screws until I've got them and the Dutchman exact. Then the plug welding will begin. I even go as far as installing windows, door and trunk gaskets, interior panels and all, in order to verify exact gapping before proceeding. I probably need medicated, lol, as I can't imagine that level of concern on the assembly line in '69.  Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be back to the Dutchman. Stay tuned!

Kevin