Main Menu

self etch primer on pot metal

Started by Burdar, May 28, 2020, 04:18:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I'm trying to restore some GTS hood inserts for my 68 Dart.  The chrome was pitted pretty badly on the upper lip so I sanded through the chrome and pits to good metal.  I wasn't sure if pot metal would polish up so I did a small test section and it looks awesome!  I bead blasted the inserts and most of the chrome came off but there are still some small areas that still have a thin layer of chrome.  The rest is just bare pot metal.  The outside of the inserts gets painted light textured argent and the inside gets painted red.  I assume the thing to do now is give the painted sections a light sanding and then spray with self etching primer?  Since I'm not a painter I just wanted to make sure the self etch was going to work over the pot metal.  If that's the correct thing to use, then do I spray the top coat right over the self etch or spray another primer over that? Thanks

Gary

Our PPG rep advised us to never use self etch over blasted metal. The problem is it pools in the pits and causes lifting issues. We actually never use etching primer on anything, just epoxy primer.  Then it is up to you if the piece is smooth enough, shoot your color, if it needs it, put down a coat of primer. You can also do a quick sanding of the epoxy also. By the way have you still got my top fuel piston clock down there. If you want me to pay you for it let me know, I'll send you a check. Will still try to get your way sometime after all the craziness dies down.  If you want more info give us a call.

Burdar

Yes, I have your piston.  We can set up a time to meet this summer sometime.

I'm not worried about getting the surface really smooth.  The textured argent will hide any imperfections.  I just don't want the paint to lift.  I thought etch primer would help the paint bite into the metal. Keep in mind I don't have any professional paint equipment. I've got some SEM etch primer I was going to use but it sounds like that isn't a good idea.

Mrbill426

Cr@p I just finished using SEM self etch primer on bead blasted brackets... top coated too.  Nothing on the can about not doing that  :Thud:

Quote from: Burdar on May 28, 2020, 05:24:17 PM
Yes, I have your piston.  We can set up a time to meet this summer sometime.

I'm not worried about getting the surface really smooth.  The textured argent will hide any imperfections.  I just don't want the paint to lift.  I thought etch primer would help the paint bite into the metal. Keep in mind I don't have any professional paint equipment. I've got some SEM etch primer I was going to use but it sounds like that isn't a good idea.

JS29

@Mrbill426  Don't sweet it, I do it all the time and have yet to have a problem. This is the first i have heard of that.  :yes:

Mrbill426

@JS29 thank you.  I would hate to have to strip it all off and start over... waste of time and materials.

Quote from: JS29 on May 29, 2020, 07:57:54 AM
@Mrbill426  Don't sweet it, I do it all the time and have yet to have a problem. This is the first i have heard of that.  :yes: