Main Menu

‘71 Challenger R/T hood molding question

Started by JH27N0B, July 05, 2020, 09:34:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I went out to visit my '71 Challenger R/T in storage the other day and to replace the ratty front of hood molding black tape with a new one I got from Performance graphics. We went to remove the molding, and I noticed for the first time it was retained by Phillips head screws through a extrusion of the molding that extends under the first inch or so of the front of the hood.
I'm used to the moldings on my 70s that has stud assemblies that slide in to the back side of the molding and are secured with stamped nuts.
Looking online, I see people selling the stud retained style molding for both 70-71.  I saw 72-74s that looked similar to what I have.
Were there 3 different hood molding parts for 71 Challengers, wide molding, R/T and standard?
We noticed that my molding had some rash and faint dings under the tape so it's being sent out to restore.  Little projects always become bigger projects! :o

JH27N0B

Floyd

Brad - That molding with/lip is a 71-only thing but not all cars got it.  Not sure if it's an early or late thing.  My Sep SPD car has the traditional stud type fasteners.  I remember a friend restoring a high dollar 71 and he spent a long time trying to find an NOS/mint original with the lip.  I feel like someone repro'd that style?

JH27N0B

Hey Bruce, thanks for the info!  My car is a late October SPD but who knows if it's hood molding was originally on the car?
I hope my restorer handles my piece with care as I don't want to have to search for another!

71vert340

Seeing this topic made me go out and look at the hood lip moldings I have stored in the shop. I have one still in the original package(?) with the number of 3620476. The package has a few tears in it due to age and it is the aluminum wide lip molding with the black stripe. Can anyone verify this number and the package has the correct number for this style molding? I don't have a 71 R/T but my convertible has the plain wide lip molding on it. I remember replacing the 1970 style with the studs for the wide lip back screw on back in the 1980s on my convertible, a Dec 1970 build. 
Terry

Skdmark

My '71 R/T is a May build car and had the molding with the under hood mounting lip.
There is a repro of the '71 molding available. I picked a repro molding up a few years back. I stupidly got rid of the original molding when I sold my rally hood in '96.

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/hood-lip-molding-71-challenger/

I assume this molding also went on '71 Challengers originally equipped with shaker hoods.
Can anyone confirm?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Floyd

Neither of my 71 Challengers (original N-96 cars) Had the under/lip mount.  The Sep SPD car has the original hood.  The other one has a replacement original hood (w/crumple zone, but I don't know the SPD of the car it came off).

The friend I mentioned above had a late build 71 Hemi Challenger w/N-96.  That's the car that had the under/lip mount.

Skdmark

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a running change item like the trunk floors with the different shock mount plugs, slotted bumpers and the front fenders with the grill notches.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

GrandpaKevin

Had to go look at my wife's 71 and it has the studs.

Her car has a 1/27 SPD and has the 1970 type trunk floor.

No idea if the hood is original or not, should it have the crumple zones?

My other 71 Challenger's hood is in storage, it has a June SPD and later type trunk floor but I suspect it's not the original hood.

Skdmark

If it's a '71 it should have crumple zones as the crumple zones were phased in on 1970 production.
-Harlan Ellison

71vert340

Quote from: 71vert340 on July 05, 2020, 11:35:29 AM
Seeing this topic made me go out and look at the hood lip moldings I have stored in the shop. I have one still in the original package(?) with the number of 3620476. The package has a few tears in it due to age and it is the aluminum wide lip molding with the black stripe. Can anyone verify this number and the package has the correct number for this style molding? I don't have a 71 R/T but my convertible has the plain wide lip molding on it. I remember replacing the 1970 style with the studs for the wide lip back screw on back in the 1980s on my convertible, a Dec 1970 build. 
Terry

I found the answer to my question. Part number 3620475 is for the 71 R/T wide lip hood molding.
Terry