Main Menu

Who’s door glass to buy

Started by Rich G., June 10, 2018, 04:58:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Probably going to replace the side glass on the Challenger. I see AMD and Auto City Glass make it. Anyone know who's is better or what the difference is?

Chryco Psycho

Contact Roseville Dave can supply the best product

DodgeGuy

I just had to order the driver's side glass for my Challenger.  I went with Auto City Classic that I found on Ebay.

I'll let you know how it goes once the window is in.

A long story short, my window actually shattered while it was rolled down as I was driving to get my TA spoiler mounted.  When my body guy took the door panel off (I try to work on as much stuff as possible on my car, but certain things I'd rather a professional do) he said that half of the mounting hardware was missing,.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ToxicWolf

Really depends on how far you want to go.  I photographed the etching on my windows and sent it to ECS automotive.  He custom etched the new glass to match my original glass.  Of course, this is a little excessive for most people.  :bye:

69BFan

Seeing that your in New Jersey, if you should be attending the Carlisle show and would be able to transport the glass, I would check to see what some of the various AMD vendors attending the event will sell the glass to you for.  That way you can personally inspect the glass, save yourself the shipping charges and possibly be able to purchase it at a discounted rate.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

JH27N0B

I believe the repro glass on my T/A is AMD and I don't like it.
I'm getting my original polished and reinstalled soon.

71vert340

I went with Auto City Classic glass when the drivers window shattered while sitting in the shop. I found it sometime later. I ordered the glass and installed it with my wife's help. Fits great. Not wavy that I can tell. I did replace any non metallic pieces to ensure that I did not have any direct metal contact to the glass to prevent the window from shattering again.
Terry

GoodysGotaCuda

I have ACC and would not recommend it. It is thinner compared to the factory or AMD glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

realn96

If you do use AMD glass, jegs does free shipping :alan2cents:

71vert340

I've heard several times that the new glass is thinner than the old glass. I used my dial calipers ( which I zeroed before starting) and measured the thickness of the glass I got from Auto City Glass and my date coded original glass along the front, top, and back edges. The original door glass measured between 0.220" and 0.225" in 6 measured spots. I then measured the Auto City Glass and it measured between 0.230" and 0.225" in the same spots on the glass. The ACG glass I bought less than 2 years ago is the same thickness as the original glass. Windshields may be different but the side glass is within the thickness of a piece of paper difference.
Terry

GoodysGotaCuda

My ACC windshield measured 0.200", the AMD measured 0.300". Pretty substantial difference, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Rich G.

Well I decided to go with AMD glass so I bit the bullet and ordered it. Showed up a week later. Opened up the big box to find 1 scratched quarter glass and a handful of shattered pieces of glass. No clue where the rest of the broken pieces went but I'm not a happy camper! Wanted to install it before Carlisle but now the BS begins with the shipper 😡

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Tamraz's. It was drop shipped from AMD . How you ship glass in a cardboard box and expect it to show up in one piece is beyond me!