Main Menu

Separating quarter glass

Started by nsmall, May 07, 2017, 11:53:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I'm swapping out my quarter glass and I want to have my polisher shine up the stainless trim.

Any suggestions on how to remove the quarter glass as one came out easy but the other one's kind of a pain in the butt?

I figured it'd be best to keep the stainless trim attached as it has rivets holding it in. Does that sound correct?  I figured it could still be polished even though it's attached. Am I right?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

It can take bit of wiggling, but they pop right out.  I polish the stainless while it's still riveted to the lower section.  It's a pretty easy piece to polish.  :alan2cents:

nsmall

@Cuda Cody

Thanks Cody.  So you don't use a screw driver or any other tools to pry on the glass?  This one is stubborn.

Topcat

I removed the rivets and took the trim off and it did seem to help get it out.

RUNCHARGER

If you're having trouble, it isn't that hard to polish it on the glass. it has probably been rebonded at some point, why mess with a good thing.
Sheldon

nsmall

@RUNCHARGER

I'm going full snob mode on my car so I have new glass to put in.  I'll keep trying, I was just hoping to salvage and sell the used glass.

Thanks

Neil

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Perhaps a very moderate warming will help loosen it. When those dang things come loose I usually apply urethane to re attach them, that might be what happened here.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

I have a 1/2" x 2" x 3" block of hard plastic (UHMW) I've used it & a hammer to tap the trim off the glass....

jimynick

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 08, 2017, 07:46:01 PM
I have a 1/2" x 2" x 3" block of hard plastic (UHMW) I've used it & a hammer to tap the trim off the glass....
Yep, that or a wee hunk of hardwood with a good sharp edge to it and walk it up and down the edge while spanking it. Take it easy or you'll bend the division bar doing it and/or dent it.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

nsmall

Thanks for all your help guys. I was able to get it out.  I used a heat gun and pried on it under the glass.

I was just kind of freaked out because I was probably close to breaking the glass but once it loosened up a little bit I knew I could do it.

Thanks

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

jimynick

Glad to hear you got it off, but be really careful with a screwdriver on the glass. It's tempered (all except the w/s) and will take an amazing amount of abuse- as long as you don't disturb it's surface tension and that's why even a small chip in an edge can cause it to "blow".  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"