Main Menu

Shaker Fiberglass Cracks With Pics

Started by Daveh, August 04, 2020, 06:55:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I'm assembling the Shaker for the Challenger.  It's a new shaker and when I went to gently install the grilles in the fiberglass a few cracked and that was only after a couple of turns.  I had to take some out and add washers or they would have really cracked. 

I know this is common fiberglass and screws don't play well.  So now I have 3 that are on the loose side.  In order to fix it I was going to work some epoxy in and around the damaged areas.  Does this sound like a good course of action or is there a better solution.  Let me know.  Thanks

Sorry for the bad pics but you get the idea. 

Thanks
Dave

RUNCHARGER

I think that's about your best sollution.
I'm having fun now. Building a kit car and inserting nutserts into the fibreglass dash to mount the carbon fibre dash face to. Not really enjoying that.
Sheldon

71vert340

That really sucks. Have you contacted whoever sold you the scoop to see what they recommend? Epoxy is a good solution or remove everything, mix up fiberglass resin, pour into the holes until it flows out the cracks, re-drill to a larger size so the screws won't re-crack it. You could reinforce with small fiberglass mat or fibers.
Terry

Daveh

I bought the complete shaker conversation kit about 10 years ago so who I bought it from really can't help and I would just assume not mention any names.  That's the hobby plus it was 10 years ago. I'm finally to the final steps of the restoration and just took it out of the box and painted it.  Just looking for the best way to fix it.   

I think if I put the epoxy in the hole and snug the bolt down a best I can that should work.  Just don't want anything falling off and head down the carb.   

71vert340

Just keep in mind unless the threads of the screw have a release agent on them, the next time you go to remove the bolts, the raised fiberglass boss will likely stay attached to the threads of screw and just snap off causing a bigger problem. Just throwing that out there.
Terry

Daveh

So Terry do you have any suggestions?  Thanks

71vert340

If it were me, I'd either fill each of the holes with either epoxy or fiberglass resin until it sealed the cracks and re-drill using a drill bit size that will allow it to thread the hole easily without cracking or I might try to drill it out after filling it and install a threaded insert in the hole with epoxy as a glue to cement the threaded insert in. Just a couple of ideas. If I felt it needed additional reinforcement, I might bond additional fiberglass mat to the outside of each threaded boss.
Terry

Brads70

Quote from: 71vert340 on August 04, 2020, 01:32:57 PM
If it were me, I'd either fill each of the holes with either epoxy or fiberglass resin until it sealed the cracks and re-drill using a drill bit size that will allow it to thread the hole easily without cracking or I might try to drill it out after filling it and install a threaded insert in the hole with epoxy as a glue to cement the threaded insert in. Just a couple of ideas.
Terry

:iagree:   I was thinking as you said epoxy then drill it out and tap it for a helicoil or a keensert then use machine screws instead of screws  :notsure:

https://www.clarendonsf.com/products/inserts/keensert-inserts