Main Menu

Side mirror mount hardware

Started by Shoooter, March 17, 2020, 12:38:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I have the proper nut that goes into the door to mount the mirror. When I bought my nut rivit gun it didnt come with the size I need. The correct ones are steel. I do have some aluminum ounces but worried they wont be strong enough.  Has anyone used aluminum nuts?

JS29

I would not be afraid of the strength, Its the corrosion of the two different metals is the only worry i would not like. use Never-seize and you should be alright. Aluminum would compress easier than metal.  :alan2cents:     

Shoooter

I bought the ones from roseville and they are steel. If i use the aluminum ones I will have to find other mounting screws as the thread is different between the two.

JS29

:cool: But i would still use anti seize.  :bigthumb:

Shoooter

The factory holes are 5/16 or 3/8 but the nut is only about 1/4" is it necessary to drill them that big or go to the size if the nut?

JS29

I would drill it the size that the nut-sert will fit into.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: Shoooter on March 18, 2020, 06:30:17 AM
The factory holes are 5/16 or 3/8 but the nut is only about 1/4" is it necessary to drill them that big or go to the size if the nut?

The nut-sert itself has to fit tight into the drilled hole  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Quote from: anlauto on March 18, 2020, 07:49:07 AM
Quote from: Shoooter on March 18, 2020, 06:30:17 AM

The nut-sert itself has to fit tight into the drilled hole  :alan2cents:

It has thr factory holes but the nut is smaller I'm sure. I'll have to double check

Shoooter

I want to make sure that I am right in my assumption before i drill holes in the passenger side door. The mirror mount holes should be in the same location as the drivers side correct? They didnt do anything weird and have it alittle different did they?