Main Menu

Side to side hood movement

Started by Solarguy, March 06, 2021, 06:09:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

Quote from: dodj on March 06, 2021, 04:55:59 PM
The only thing I can say is, I know the rear of the hood will come down if you raise the 'nose' of the hood hinge. As you know, this will mess up your panel alignment with the fenders. Maybe as a test, put some kind of rubber shim in there on top of the existing bumpers and go for a drive over some bumps?

Thanks,  That's exactly what I was thinking about trying

Solarguy

Quote from: jimynick on March 06, 2021, 05:30:37 PM
"Those are some really nice gaps...pretty tight" Yep, and that is why it hits. These cars are "flexiflyers" and they came from the factory with gaps that averaged 5/16- 3/8" and there's a reason for that, as you're discovering. The unibody structure is :loose" enough that the addition of subframe connectors is common, in an attempt to tighten them up. At the end of the day, either the fender or the hood corner have to move OR the substructure becomes stiff enough to fight the wiggle; your call.  :cheers:

You are correct there for sure.  I'm thinking that since I rebuilt the suspension a couple years ago, any slop in movement there just got transferred elsewhere.  The hood always wiggled a little, just now wiggling a little more.  I'm going to put some rubber pads on the cowl where those 3 rear bumpers touch and see how that goes. 

Thanks everybody for the input.  I appreciate it