Main Menu

Correct Part Finish Help

Started by Gary AAR, August 06, 2019, 08:09:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

As I continue to work on the restoration of my 1970 AAR Cuda, I need help with determining the original correct factory finish on the following parts:
1.  Rear license plate mounting bracket, hinge pin, and spring (see photo of parts below). 
2.  Also need the correct factory finish on the flood lamp housing (see photo below).  Inside of the flood lamp housing was black, and outside appears like silver/argent???
3.  Front headlight bucket (see photo below). 
Thanks for the help.

Burdar

I believe the license plate bracket was stamped out of galvanized plate.  If you soak your original one in EvapoRust, it should bring back a nice finish as long as it isn't rusted.  EvapoRust will remove the galvanizing if you leave it in too long.  Start with a 20 minute dip and see how it looks after.  If it needs more time, you can dip it again.  Just don't leave it over night.  Your galvanizing will be gone.

The headlight buckets were also stamped out of galvanized metal.  They weren't painted.  A possible exception might be a paint mark to indicate which side of the car it went on...so it would be easy for the line workers to pick the right part.  I know they did this with Challengers.  Maybe both sides are the same on a Cuda?

6Pack70

The fog lamp housings were also galvanized metal similar to a headlamp bucket. Painted black inside and silver on the outside.  I used 3 light coats of Mopar Rallye Wheel Silver in the spray can on mine.  Was a close match to the original silver paint.   

Gary AAR