Main Menu

Spare Tire bracket used in Challenger trunks?

Started by 340challconvert, October 29, 2018, 10:53:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

340challconvert

Spare tire brackets; never thought much about them

The bracket in my A66 convertible is a flat bracket on the floor of the trunk
Some of the brackets I have seen are Z shaped and contour up toward the back seat.

My A66 vert was an SPD of October 6th.
Did early convertible cars use the hardtop bracket early on?

Did they change to the newer style bracket in late October?

I would think the convertible bracket would have to be a little further in to the trunk like mine in order to avoid the roof going down into the well?

Or, were convertibles that were factory equipped with the collapse spare use the bracket that is in my trunk? (I suggest this because the 15" wheels and the collapse spare were no longer standard on the A66 cars in late October)

Or was a different bracket used contingent upon the size of the tire and spare size of the car?

Why would I have a different bracket in an early a66 collapse spare convertible?  :thinking:

It looks like the z shaped bracket was in most cars!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Cuda_mark

I always thought that all convertibles had the flat bracket. Mine did. It was built in 3/70.

340challconvert

Here is a pic of a 70 Challenger convertible A66 car (not mine) that has the "Z" spare tire bracket.

Cuda_mark

AMD lists the flat one as convertible. That pink challenger sure looks like it has the original trunk floor so who knows!

Crocha617

Interesting questions. I've had about 20 E-body convertibles and all of them had the straight convertible style hold down brackets except for the two that were converted from hardtops.

anlauto

AMD is correct, the pink car is wrong, could be a factory screw up, who knows. We just talked about a convertible with a hardtop VIN that had the wrong bracket, so this could have once been a hardtop too...who knows.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

My convertible had the flat bracket too.  I kept it when I replaced the trunk floor if anyone needs it.  Let me know. 

Dave

340challconvert

Quote from: anlauto on October 29, 2018, 11:44:57 AM
AMD is correct, the pink car is wrong, could be a factory screw up, who knows. We just talked about a convertible with a hardtop VIN that had the wrong bracket, so this could have once been a hardtop too...who knows.

Allen, thanks for your thoughts!
The pink A66 Challenger convertible (not original color) has SPD date of October 28th, about 3 weeks later then my A66 vert, looks to be a Hamtramck car and still has the tag with a JH27 H0B designation, that's why I was curious!
It's for sale in the Winnipeg Craigslist   It is also a Canadian spec car!
https://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/d/dodge-challenger/6731950310.html

1 Wild R/T

Back in the 80's & 90's I worked on over 20 E body verts... They all had the flat style bracket.... 

340challconvert

Could the fact that it was a Canadian spec car have made a difference in the spare tire/bracket?
:thinking:

Cuda_mark

My guess is that the pink car had a hardtop trunk floor installed when it was repainted

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

anlauto

That's exactly it, these cars are 48 years old, people have been fixing them, restoring them, for likely 40 years....who knows what repairs were done....Look at the other thread discussing window fuzzies....the car's owner thought the repro ones in his car were original until thinking now maybe they were replaced when the car was 10 years old.... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

First trunk floor I put in an E body was in the early 80's.....  It was a clean used floor going into a car with big hole in the floor....  First aftermarket trunk floor I installed was around 1991...  It was a convertible & the hold down was rusty.... I cut two stepped hooks out of hardtop E bodies, sectioned them to get the complex area of the stamping & fabricated the metal that connected the two parts.....

js27

Here is mine form my 70 R/T Vert. built Nov,20 1969 original trunk.

JS27