Main Menu

Spraying Automotive Paint with HVLP Sprayer?

Started by Adams1stCuda, April 18, 2018, 06:45:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Adams1stCuda

Has anyone ever sprayed automotive paint with a HVLP sprayer/gun?  I have a Earlex HV5500 that I've used with great results for other paint jobs and am wondering if it would work to spray the interior areas.  My plan is to clean up the interior body and spray before laying insulation and putting everything back together.  Any general recommendations for this? TIA...

jimynick

While having used a few HVLP guns, I've never heard nor used a Earlex product and can't offer an opinion. But, I did Google it and it looks like it'd do. HVLP is a good thing inside the car as by it's nature, it emits less overspray and that's something to be thankful for. Filter the paint properly and reduce it accordingly, set the air pressure, check the pattern on a piece of cardboard, modulate your trigger finger to control runs and "give 'er!".  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

cuda hunter

I've sprayed both interior and exterior of a few cars with an hvlp.

I thought that is what everyone used to paint cars.   :dunno:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JS29

Quote from: cuda hunter link=topic=6438.msg90498#msg90498 date=152414910

/quote]   YUP!!!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JS29 on April 19, 2018, 08:05:44 AM
Quote from: cuda hunter link=topic=6438.msg90498#msg90498 date=152414910

/quote]   YUP!!!

Accept what he's talking about isn't the same as a typical automotive HVLP gun....   But it should be fine for interior work....  I sprayed one of those rigs when working on industrial equipment, it never played the paint as nice as an automotive gun but it would be fine for smaller jobs as long as you have reasonable expectations

Adams1stCuda

Accept what he's talking about isn't the same as a typical automotive HVLP gun....   But it should be fine for interior work....  I sprayed one of those rigs when working on industrial equipment, it never played the paint as nice as an automotive gun but it would be fine for smaller jobs as long as you have reasonable expectations
[/quote]

For sure...wouldn't dare try the exterior with it.  I know my car will prob never get the type of restore or quality of work like that detailed in Cody's painting how-to, but just want to still make it nice for my wife.  Will do the exterior right if/when she/we ever decide to re-do it...agian.

ec_co

it should be fine. I've researched similar type units for interior and exterior paint work and they work great without the headaches of a compressor + inline equip. harbor freight has a cheapo unit for under $150 and there are plenty of videos on youtube showing how well they work,  (just one example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcesd4ZhK5Y). most are full blown exterior jobs, but shows what they are capable of.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Auto paint isn't cheap. I would experiment with some cheap (Summit type) stuff first.
Sheldon

rhamson

Quote from: cuda hunter on April 19, 2018, 07:45:00 AM
I've sprayed both interior and exterior of a few cars with an hvlp.

HVLP uses less paint as the liquid is under pressure and requires less air that causes over spray. For areas that have a lot of room I use a gravity feed gun as the liquid reservoir on top doesn't bump into things in tight spaces. I use a pressure pot for interior work as you can easily turn the gun up side down and around obstacles easily. The only thing you need to know in both cases is the size of the tip recommendation by the paint manufacturer.