Main Menu

Stuck Door

Started by Marty73, May 23, 2018, 11:15:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

If you have a friend with you, one guy pulls the inner door handle open while the other guy lifts on the back of the door.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

:idea:   There's always "The Dukes of Hazzard" entry.   :D

Marty73

:haha:

I'm too damn old with a bad back to be going Luke Duke!!
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Marty73

Hi Guys - just to wrap up the post

I did finally get the door open, I found that the lock linkage got bent somehow (not sure how that happened, maybe when I closed the door with the new hinges?), but with a ratchet extension and a tap on the internal release lever (where the the handle rod connects to the the latch mechanism)  the claw released and the door is open!

Glad I took my time, I was ready to cut it off/hit it with a sledge hammer
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Cuda Cody

Katfish

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 15, 2018, 11:29:32 AM
:bigthumb:   8)

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 23, 2018, 11:48:28 AM
Is it locked?

Ockham'a Razor.........
So you don't have to google:
"The most obvious answer is usually the correct one"

Cudajason

Quote from: Marty73 on June 15, 2018, 11:21:54 AM
Hi Guys - just to wrap up the post

I did finally get the door open, I found that the lock linkage got bent somehow (not sure how that happened, maybe when I closed the door with the new hinges?), but with a ratchet extension and a tap on the internal release lever (where the the handle rod connects to the the latch mechanism)  the claw released and the door is open!

Glad I took my time, I was ready to cut it off/hit it with a sledge hammer

Glad you got it sorted out. 

I am sure you will laugh about it later.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Rich G.

I always close the latch when the door is open and I make sure the latch opens from the outside and inside handles before I shut the doors.

tparker

Glad you got it. I JUST was messing with my door and latching mechanism last weekend. My door has some play and it binds a little on the post, which makes it difficult to open. I'll post some pics for the second door this weekend in case it helps someone else. But my recommendations would be to remove the linkage to the lock. There are only 4 I think. One from each handle and one for each lock. All but one is real easy to undo. THe hard one is the inner door lock and its easy if you disconnect it from the locking lever vs the latching mechanism. My outer dock lock got bound up and bent one of the pieces and wouldn't unlock. I removed the linkages and played with the whole mechanism to figure out how it worked and every thing was fine.

Tom

Chryco Psycho

Congrats on getting it open without damage , Patience goes a long way !