Main Menu

T/A hood paint

Started by IRON MAN, December 07, 2017, 10:03:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

I parked next to a 1969 Mustang Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet at a local car show last Sunday. I asked the owner what paint was used to spray the flat black on the shaker hood. He said he used SEM Bumper Coater. He painted the car six years ago and it has won several awards at Goodguys and Hot August Nights, Reno. He had the awards in his trunk and many magazines his car was in. I'm thinking about spraying the duct-tail spoiler I just mounted and if turns out nice, I'll spray the T/A hood that arrived last week. Has anyone used SEM Bumper Coater with success? I'm not very interested in the textured look Organosol paint has. 

Cuda Cody

Sounds like it looked good in person.  And if it's holding up for years that's a good sign too.  Please let us know what your test spray outs look like when you are done.  Also, consider doing a larger flat spray out test too.  Sometimes paints act differently when applied over large flat areas. 

IRON MAN

I just tried to order a gallon of SEM Bumper Coater from Summit Racing. SR will not ship it to the SF Bay Area. There are  nine counties in the bay area that banned it in their VOC regulations. SR did say they can ship it to Eureka, Ca. (650 miles round trip), where my son lives.  Or, I can drive to Reno/Sparks, Nevada (340 miles round trip) and pick it up there. I bet organosol is also banned.in the SF Bay Area.   

RUNCHARGER

Not likely that Bumper Coater has any metallic in it either.
Sheldon

HUSTLESTUFF

Try checking a local auto paint store.  They may be able to get it. I can stop by my paint store next week and check. I work in Novato and can bring it there from farther northern California where there is less restriction. I know they carry the spray cans

Jalaska907

On my TA hood, I wanted something that was easy to wash and hold up well.  I ended up going with SEM Hot Rod Black.  Turned out awesome!