Main Menu

Trunk drops and 1/4's

Started by A.Gramz, January 06, 2017, 05:19:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

Anybody have some good pictures of the truck drop downs into the 1/4's.  Having a problem with them mating at the wheel well.  Not sure if the problem is the drops or the 1/4's.  I want to make sure there correct before I weld the drops in.

Cuda Cody

I'm sure I have some photos around here.... let me check.  Stand by:

Cuda Cody

Some original photos I had on my computer of a Challenger right after being sand blasted...  The first one you can see where someone tried to patch a small area, but the quarters and extensions are original.  Hope that helps.  If not, I can go out in the shop and take some other photos if there's a specific angle you need.  But looking at your photo you're going to need to massage it in order to get it to line up.

Click on the photos and they will enlarge if you need to see them better. :bradsthumb:

A.Gramz

That should be a good reference for me.  Thx Cody. I can already tell the 1/4 lip needs to be trimmed down.

On a side note I like the enlarge feature that it doesn't take u to another page  :ohyeah:

jimynick

Check the arch of that 1/4 with a wheel well moulding if you're going to use them and that'll give you a better idea as to whether it's the 1/4 or trunk extension that needs to move. If you make the 1/4 fit the extension and want to run w/o mldgs, you'll be sorry later. You can cheat a wee bit and I'd try a C type Visegrip into the corner of the extension with an eye to pulling it some into the 1/4's end a wee bit tighter. A little here and a little there can make a big difference later, especially if you haven't welded the extension in yet. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

A.Gramz

So ive been avoiding the quarter skins to drop downs. The trunk joints look good outer wheel looks good.  Skin arch matches the old mouldings great.  And this is what I'm left with.   

A.Gramz

So it sucks but this is the only solution I could think of

Cuda Cody

That's metal work.  Sometime you have to make it fit.  Looks like you got it a lot better then it was.   :ohyeah:

Kinda looks like there might be a slight bend at the bottom of your quarter skins to drop downs?  Is it bent?  Either way, looks like you have it pretty close to done.   :slapme5:

A.Gramz

Ya they still need tweaked a little.  I will never buy quarter skins again.  They weren't even the right side profile

anlauto

What brand quarter skin is that ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Can you post a photo of your fuel filler hole or is it original?

anlauto

My metal man has convinced me that it's aways way better to do a full quarter, less work, less bondo better quality finish  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

A.Gramz

Quote from: anlauto on April 14, 2017, 06:54:47 PM
My metal man has convinced me that it's aways way better to do a full quarter, less work, less bondo better quality finish  :alan2cents:

There Goodmark.  Only panels so far I wouldn't recommend of there's that I used. 

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 14, 2017, 06:48:31 PM
Can you post a photo of your fuel filler hole or is it original?

It's original.  Cut below body line body line where slightly different and fuel area was on like a 45 and stock was more 90

Cuda Cody

That's why I was asking.  I've seen some of skins that would not even fit a fuel filler.  Glad your is original.   :woohoo:

Quote from: A.Gramz on April 14, 2017, 07:03:22 PM

It's original.  Cut below body line body line where slightly different and fuel area was on like a 45 and stock was more 90

RUNCHARGER

Make dang sure your rear valance fits before doing anything else.
Sheldon