Main Menu

Door Hinge Pin Replacement

Started by Cudajason, October 15, 2020, 02:46:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey guys,

One of the thing I want to do this winter is replace the pins on the door hinges.  The driver side is really bad.

I have a small garage and can not open the doors al the way in the garage.

I thought I saw someone post about taking the hinges off by removing the fender and leaving the door in place.

I was thinking, could you get the hinges off one at a time with the fenders on, and accessing the hinge bolts through the wheel well once you removed the splash guard?

Do you think that would work?

Is there any risk with leaving the door in place and latched with one hinge attached?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

anlauto

Without being able to open your door fully, the hardest bolts to get at will be the ones inside the car. The one up inside the dash especially.
I guess you could remove your seats again, to get comfortable inside the car.

With the splash shield removed, you will be able to access all of the top hinge bolts with the exception of the inside one, but only four of the six lower hinge bolts, two have to be accessed with the door open, and of course two more behind the interior kick panel.

YES the door will stay in place when latched with only one hinge in place at a time, but almost certain to loose the "final" adjustment....you will need to tweak that as it all goes back together.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

It's do-able that way. But you gonna swear a fair bit...lol
If I were you I'd wait for a nice day in the spring and do it outside.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill