Main Menu

Trunk Torsion Rod Install

Started by Shane Kelley, May 03, 2017, 12:24:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

Anybody have any experience installing the trunk torsion rod in 71 Cuda? Without chewing the paint off everything. Any procedure would be greatly appreciated. I removed mine 3 years ago and I knew it would be reckoning day at some point. This is that day. Thanks

mopar jack

It's been awhile since I've done one hopefully others will chime in. Start with lid supported in full open position and place one end of rod in the lowest setting on the support bracket and the other end in the hinge pivot. Next push the rod over the hook just above the torsion positioning slots. If hood won't stay open you will need to adjust to a different slot.

mopar jack

From the service manual a little confusing.

CudaMoparRay

Perfect timing as my installing a TA rear duck tail spoiler made the trunk lid heavier so now does not stay open like it used to.

Cuda Cody

I'm with you, it's one of those things I fret doing, but I get a buddy to help and it always goes better then I thing.  Take your time and make sure to put a little white lithium grease on the wear / moving / touching parts so it functions quietly.

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 03, 2017, 12:24:31 PM
Anybody have any experience installing the trunk torsion rod in 71 Cuda? Without chewing the paint off everything. Any procedure would be greatly appreciated. I removed mine 3 years ago and I knew it would be reckoning day at some point. This is that day. Thanks

Cuda Cody

Easy fix, just adjust it to one notch stronger and it will work great.  Each slot will allow you to put more pressure upward.   :twothumbsup:

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on May 03, 2017, 01:28:00 PM
Perfect timing as my installing a TA rear duck tail spoiler made the trunk lid heavier so now does not stay open like it used to.

1 Wild R/T

Thing is the OP is working on a 71 so single rod.... With twice as much tension...

Cuda Cody

:Thud:   And I thought the 1970 was hard.  Oh boy, single is going to take a bit more tension to get it.   :wrenching:

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 03, 2017, 07:03:51 PM
Thing is the OP is working on a 71 so single rod.... With twice as much tension...

ToxicWolf

When Roadman and I put the 2 rods in the 70 Challenger we wrapped a rope around the bar, I took a hitch around my waist and leaned back, using my weight to bend the bar.  Mark used his hand to guide it into place.  Went pretty easily and quickly.   :banana:

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 03, 2017, 02:49:13 PM
Easy fix, just adjust it to one notch stronger and it will work great.  Each slot will allow you to put more pressure upward.   :twothumbsup:

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on May 03, 2017, 01:28:00 PM

Unfortunately or fortunately however I have a 1971 also lol lol

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: ToxicWolf on May 03, 2017, 10:35:36 PM
When Roadman and I put the 2 rods in the 70 Challenger we wrapped a rope around the bar, I took a hitch around my waist and leaned back, using my weight to bend the bar.  Mark used his hand to guide it into place.  Went pretty easily and quickly.   :banana:

I'll be going this route it seems, thanks

anlauto

That's a tough one...good luck. The cars I restore are usually painted with them in place and adjusted... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

CudaMoparRay

Picture of '71 only on left side at least in mine. Will be moving to 3rd slot to see if it supports the duck tail spoiler I put on.

DetMatt

I've got mine adjusted for the most tension and it still won't hold the lid up with the T/A spoiler on it. It's the single rod '71 and I've tried a couple of different rods.

Cuda Cody

Just go to the 70 style 2 rod system.  :alan2cents:  We know it works with the T/A spoiler.

Quote from: DetMatt on May 11, 2017, 05:51:16 AM
I've got mine adjusted for the most tension and it still won't hold the lid up with the T/A spoiler on it. It's the single rod '71 and I've tried a couple of different rods.