Main Menu

Trunk "wall" coating

Started by Mrbill426, September 04, 2017, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I don't know if this is the correct page for this question.  Our car came from the factory with a sort of sound deadening coating thinly applied to the inner sidewalls of the trunk, sprayed about 3/4 of the way up.  Anyone know what a similar product of today would be?  Body is freshly painted (white) inside and out, with new quarter skins.

Thanks

:wrenching:

Shane Kelley

It usually goes on before paint. Rocker Protector from 3M (08734) works pretty good. Takes a few coats to get it thick similar to what the factory used.

anlauto

Yea :iagree: It should have been done before paint. I would just leave the "clean" look now :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

It normally goes on before paint and there is a pattern they used to avoid the marker lights.   :iagree:  Since you do not have it on and already painted it, it would look cleaner and better just to leave it off.  The clean look works nice too.   :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Does that mean it cannot be applied over paint, even is scuffed?   I can probably go back and touch it up when I do other things.

Quote from: anlauto on September 04, 2017, 02:03:05 PM
Yea :iagree: It should have been done before paint. I would just leave the "clean" look now :alan2cents:

Burdar

From the factory, the inside of the quarter panels was sprayed with undercoating before the car was painted. The undercoating was used for several reasons. It adds strength and rigidity to the panel. If something slides in the trunk and hits the quarter, the undercoating helps protect from a dent. I would definately put something back on. It's going to be more difficult now. You'll have to mask everything very good before you spray.

Cuda Cody

:takepicture:  Hope these helps.

Mrbill426

Helps allot (all you guys), I'll get with my painter.
Thanks

:wrenching:

750-h2

If you decide to go ahead, this is the product you should use. Its from Rest Rick and it really looks like the real thing! :bigthumb:
http://www.restorick.com/products.asp?cat=11

1 Wild R/T

The undercoating was originally sprayed before the quarter panels were mounted on the car.....

340challconvert

Picture of the driver's side quarter panel factory coating in a convertible.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

shawge

For touch ups to the coating prior to painting, I've used seam sealer, a stiff brush, and thinner. Applying the sealer to missing chunks, and dabbing the brush dipped in thinner makes for a pretty convincing texture.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet