Main Menu

Trunk weatherstrip install - is this correct?

Started by Cudajason, July 16, 2017, 12:19:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey guys,

I picked this trunk weatherstriping last year for my 74. The bag says 70 / 71, but I assume it will work.

So 2 questions, 1 is this for an ebody, and 2 which way do I install this ( not sure what part gets glued down). Any pics would be awesome!!

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cuda Cody

Does not matter what the package says, you should always test fit it before you glue it down.  I do my body work work with the seal in place.  If you did not do the body and paint with it in place it can push the deck lid up and end up messing with your gaps and fitment.  But not to worry if you did not do the body work with it in place.  Line it up (the seam goes right above the license plate) and use some double sided tape to hold it in place while you test fit (open and close the trunk lid).  If it's to thick all you have to do is (carefully) trim it so it's not as thick.  I'm not home from Carlisle yet so I can't get you a photo of it installed.

RUNCHARGER

Where your thumb is, that goes to the inside vertical lip. Where your small finger is, that goes to the bottom horizontal surface. Usually that bottom surface is flat though, yours  doesn't look flat.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 16, 2017, 01:05:28 PM
Usually that bottom surface is flat though, yours looks doesn't look flat.

Exactly.... I think you'd be fighting that more than it's worth.... Get the right part....

Topcat

Oh man, do I remember the problem I had with trunk seal weather stripping.

Here's what I found out on my car.

I first bought the Metro brand trunk seal. This is what looks like you have.

I put green 3M tape all around the edge where it sits so I can do a trial fit.
I then glued it onto the tape is a few areas.

When I shut the trunk lid, it wouldn't shut properly.
The seal was too thick.

I then bought the Soft Seal trunk weather strip and it  worked perfectly.
It's much thinner and has a softer durometer.

torredcuda

Year One actually lists 2 different ones which I don`t remember being the case when I ordered one but that was a long time ago.
https://www.yearone.com/SearchResults/Challenger-Cuda/trunk%20weatherstrip
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Burdar

No one makes a "correct" seal for a 73-74. Any year will work...they didn't change the trunk lid/body at all. Trunk fitment with an aftermarket seal is a concern though. I had to clamp pieces of wood onto the seal and leave it there for a week or so, to compress the seal enough to close the trunk. Test fit the seal you have. If the trunk is going to close hard...or not close, try another seal. They aren't expensive.

jimynick

Jason, you can do all of the above and you can also call Alan G who has a huge roll of his preferred make and if you ask nice, I'm reasonably sure he'd sell you what you need. It was quite reasonable. Good luck!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: Burdar on July 16, 2017, 04:09:03 PM
No one makes a "correct" seal for a 73-74. Any year will work...they didn't change the trunk lid/body at all. Trunk fitment with an aftermarket seal is a concern though. I had to clamp pieces of wood onto the seal and leave it there for a week or so, to compress the seal enough to close the trunk. Test fit the seal you have. If the trunk is going to close hard...or not close, try another seal. They aren't expensive.

Well, I am not really that concerned about the seal being correct for 74, but I would like it to work.

I tacked the one I have in place with some masking tape, and as many of you suggested, the trunk will barley close and sits high in the corners when it does.

I think I will see if I can find something better before I install what I have. 

Maybe I wont get to drive my car this year!!! 

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Claudia

Quote from: Cudajason on July 16, 2017, 12:19:45 PM
Hey guys,

I picked this trunk weatherstriping last year for my 74. The bag says 70 / 71, but I assume it will work.

So 2 questions, 1 is this for an ebody, and 2 which way do I install this ( not sure what part gets glued down). Any pics would be awesome!!

I couldn't find any really clear pictures but I seem to remember my '71 having a distinct flat side that went down???