Main Menu

Trying to remove '70 Barracuda gas tank

Started by Mopsquad, July 06, 2018, 09:13:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

I'm a newbie to E Bodies.  I could use your experience on how to remove my gas tank. 

This is what I've attempted.  From the fuel neck to tank, I can access the strap bolts and studs. Started loosening from that opening, was able to lower the straps a bit but I started looking at removing the rear valance.  Easy? Don't know?  Did all the bolts and studs and it won't budge. Looked at removing the bumper. Two outside are accessible but now the two inner. 

Where do I go from here. I don't want to yank too hard and scratch, bend or break anything.  Just want to remove this tank.  Help.  😬

gzig5

On my 73 there were two bolts on either end tying into the quarters.  Then there were about six screws across the top edge, two were kind of hidden on each corner.  I don't think you should need to remove the bumper but it is an earlier model and may be different than mine.

1 Wild R/T

Bumper comes off after valance & it doesn't need to come off to remove the tank.... But the valance does.....    Hopefully it's either empty or close to it.... Disconnect the lines & wire first....

Mopsquad

I pulled off two hex head screws off the top edge of the valence.
Next I took two nuts off of the valence to quarter studs. Not sure if there is suppose to be studs here or simple 1/4" bolts. I have studs.
Next I removes two slightly hidden nuts (on studs again) on the top outside edge.

Am I missing any? 

Weird that there are threaded studs instead of bolts/ screws.

1 Wild R/T

Mopsquad

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 06, 2018, 10:24:13 PM
Studs are correct...

Great! That's good.

Now how I see it,  the bumper needs to come off to remove the valence but, the valence needs to come off to remove the bumper.  Lol. I'm sure I'm not the only inexperienced e body newbie to think this.  ;)

I know, there must be a logical step here that I'm missing.

1 Wild R/T

Why does the bumper need to come off?   I've removed lots of E body valances, mostly Challenger but some Cuda too... Never had to remove a bumper first...

anlauto

Does your car have an elastomeric rear bumper as well ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopsquad

Quote from: anlauto on July 07, 2018, 04:38:14 AM
Does your car have an elastomeric rear bumper as well ?

No, it's a chrome bumper.  After removing all the hardware, the valance seems still affixed.  I want to make sure that I am doing this properly. 

To confirm,  the valence comes off before the bumper?  I guess it's a wiggle wiggle kind of removal? It's 117* degrees in my garage and I'm a bit impatient.  Lol.

cuda dad

You do not need to remove the bumper.  In addition to the nuts and studs at the quarter, there are several PHILLIPS head screws across the top of the valance.  They are somewhat hidden by the bumper but you can get to them.

anlauto

Four screws along the top by the bumper
two screws at the very bottom in the middle
and the studs/nuts along the sides.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

Have you removed the license plate?  It someone used a 72& up valance theres a bracket hidden there....   Your missing something, it should come off easily if all the hardware has been removed...

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 07, 2018, 10:52:43 AM
Have you removed the license plate?  It someone used a 72& up valance theres a bracket hidden there....   Your missing something, it should come off easily if all the hardware has been removed...

We're working on a Cuda here  :rubeyes: :looney: License plate, not really an issue

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on July 07, 2018, 10:54:18 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 07, 2018, 10:52:43 AM

We're working on a Cuda here  :rubeyes: :looney: License plate, not really an issue

So they didn't add the center bracket on Cuda's?  I don't work on much other than 70 E bodies & way more Challengers than Cuda's....   Whatever the case something is being missed...

Mopsquad

Quote from: anlauto on July 07, 2018, 10:51:44 AM
Four screws along the top by the bumper
two screws at the very bottom in the middle
and the studs/nuts along the sides.

This is what I removed

Two Phillips screws, they were the two innermost top.
Two nuts, the next two going outwards- top.  Studs remaining.
Two bolts bottom valence
Two nuts - valence to quarter - studs remain

Just want to change out this gas tank for the EFI. Lol   

If I've got all the hardware removed, I'll try wiggling it out.

The issue is the two sets of studs on different planes maybe.