Main Menu

U-Nut & J-Nut (sheetmetal hardware) installation & Removal

Started by moparcar, April 21, 2018, 07:32:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparcar

Guys this may be a dumb simple question, but is there a tool or trick to remove and install u-nuts & j-nuts that are used for valances, fenders, etc. I know the hard way and it scratches everything. Some of them have the little "tab" that holds them in the hole which catches on everything.

I'm assuming most of these go on after final paint such as the valances, etc.?

Tips or tools for removal and installation?

Thanks!

RUNCHARGER

Feeler gauge to save the paint. Insert the feeler gauge between them while pushing them in then pull the gauge out. To remove the old ones I just pry or twist with a screwdriver.
Sheldon

shawge

I use old gift cards as a wedge for the little tab. The thin ones work well.  Slide card in and pull both off.  Can cut them down to fit better.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

moparcar

Thanks! I figured there was method. Thought maybe I was missing the simple tool or something.
Much appreciated!

Wes

gzig5

What's a good source for these j-nuts?  I need them all over the car.  Is there a guide to which style/thread you need where?

JS29

Take one of your old one's to A NAPA store and match it up. they have nice body hardware there.  :alan2cents:

69BFan

AMK Products out of Winchester, VA. is the supplier to most of the vendors selling restoration hardware.  The fasteners may not be 100% correct in every instance, but for the most part, it is the most accurate available.  They have a $30.00 minimum order, but it does not take much to get that amount covered.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 73440 on April 22, 2018, 11:49:00 AM
https://www.jimsautoparts.com/body_bolts.htm

I have not dealt with this company , Jim's Auto Parts , just found on web.

Do us all a favor & never bring them up again.... Long time reputation as crooks...

Topcat

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 22, 2018, 06:30:38 PM
Quote from: 73440 on April 22, 2018, 11:49:00 AM
https://www.jimsautoparts.com/body_bolts.htm

I have not dealt with this company , Jim's Auto Parts , just found on web.

Do us all a favor & never bring them up again.... Long time reputation as crooks...

:iagree:

Lady is a witch on the phone.

HEMICUDA

I have the same paint scraper I've been using for years.  Hold the "J" clip tight to the edge and slide the scraper underneath and tap the back side of the scraper handle, slides right off.

Timbbuc2

Quote from: gzig5 on April 21, 2018, 04:04:45 PM
What's a good source for these j-nuts?  I need them all over the car.  Is there a guide to which style/thread you need where?
I went to my local Lowes Home Improvement store, they have a good supply of fasteners.
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HEMICUDA

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration