Main Menu

undercarriage color ?

Started by Lilian, October 24, 2020, 10:11:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Lilian

I am finishing the stripping of the undercarriage of my 70 cuda.

I looked to many high end restoration here and all cars have undercarriage painted body color....

mine looks like it only has a greenish primer under the black thick protection. see pictures

I am not a real fan of painted undercarriage but would like to stay close to the original specs of the cuda

thanks for you help !!

Rich G.

What's not to like about a painted undercarriage. It's easy to keep clean and it really doesn't get dirty. I drove this in the rain more times than I would have liked.

76orangewagon

The factory used a Grey Green dip primer, the bodies were actually dipped in about 22" of primer and was the final step in mopars anti rust treatment. Body color under carriage paint is 100% incorrect (although it looks real nice) also 100% incorrect is DP-50 epoxy primer which is just plain lazy on the restorers part when you can buy PPG Grey Green Primer. If you want it to be correct this is the way to go.

anlauto

If you go the primer/over spray route and you're worried about the primer not being sealed sufficiently, you can always substitute a similar colour grey paint :alan2cents: If done properly, it's as easy to clean as a fancy painted undercarriage :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Lilian

thanks, I know I would have the correct answer here               

76orangewagon

Just an FYI......a Catalyzed epoxy primer is a resin-based SEALER and forms a non-porous surface once it cures. 

Joegrapes

Ok, if the factory never painted the underside body color why do the Mopar guys do it? I don't see Ford or GM guys paint theirs.  I painted mine because everyone else was doing it and I thought that's the way it should be. I do like it better.

anlauto

Started back in the 90's when the term "over restored" was coined....It does look good... :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Never say never in the Mopar world. It's only original once so why not make it better if you can.

Lilian

thanks to all your kind and ressourceful comments, I made my mind and here is whaT I will do next week

I found that PAL paint code 7009 is very close to the original grey green epoxy primer under my cuda, so I will have 2 or 3 liters of epoxy paint with that paint code and apply 2 coats to protect the metal, I already laid 2 thick coats of epoxy primer and this way I will have something very close to original treatment and very protective

here is a sample of RAL 7009

ek3

did mine with epoxy . not hi build . keeps the crisp clean lines more like factory looks. painted with color/sheen  to look like  the primer ..