Main Menu

Undercoating

Started by nsmall, March 27, 2017, 11:34:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Thanks for all of your help folks.  I really feel at home here.

My plans are to strip my Cuda real soon and have it media blasted.

As for the undercoating in the wheel wells and underside, everyone says the undercoating has to be removed by hand.

My question is, Can I just leave the factory undercoating and whatever gets removed by media blasting...great, as for what stays, just leave it?

Im not building a show car.  Besides appearance, what is the point of removing all of the undercoating?  Im assuming on the rear quarter down low the inside of the quarter has a panel on the inside, can this be replaced as this is one area I am concerned there is rust in between it and the actual quarter panel.

Im not painting the underside body color.

:thankyou:

Tunis

If you don't remove it, how will you know what the state of the metal beneath it is? Blasting will not work no.

I used a needle hammer to remove mine. It's a lot of hard work with vibrating tools which is not ideal for your body..

750-h2

Just remove it to make sure. I use a heat gun or propane torch to heat up the undercoating and then use a scraper to peel it off. Not really hard to do.

anlauto

There is rust under that undercoating, guaranteed  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

As Alan mention. rust will grow under. I would torch/heat gun and putty knife it off to insure there are no surprises.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

soundcontrol

Agree with everybody else, you need to remove it, it's very easy with a torch, heat it up and scrape off. I put my son to do my 2 cars, he actually liked it, and did a great job.

usraptor

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 28, 2017, 06:35:21 AM
Agree with everybody else, you need to remove it, it's very easy with a torch, heat it up and scrape off. I put my son to do my 2 cars, he actually liked it, and did a great job.

:iagree:  I agree.  That's how I took off mine.  Fortunately for me there were no rust issues underneath!  :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

I agree: It's best to torch it off, clean and coat everything and reapply. I know it seems counterproductive but there will be rust underneath it.
Sheldon

nsmall

Thanks guys.  Really appreciate the help.  I will remove the undercoating.  I actually enjoy a job like this.  There's not much undercoating  under  the car.  Just need to find time.  I have 2 babies right now.

I'll try the torch method.

Thanks

Neil

Aar1064

Not sure how much is on your car or whether or not it'll be on a rotisserie but I removed the undercoating from mine using a hot water high pressure washer. It took about 4-5 hours to remove entire undercoating from underside. I rented it locally on a weekend. Nasty job as I was covered in the stuff from the spray back.

A.Gramz

Quote from: Aar1064 on March 28, 2017, 06:23:13 PM
Not sure how much is on your car or whether or not it'll be on a rotisserie but I removed the undercoating from mine using a hot water high pressure washer. It took about 4-5 hours to remove entire undercoating from underside. I rented it locally on a weekend. Nasty job as I was covered in the stuff from the spray back.

:bricks: why didn't I think of that. Heck I own a hot water power washer  :headbang:

Cuda Cody

That hot water pressure washer is a great idea!  And it looks like it did even a better job then I can do with a torch and putty knife.   :bradsthumb:

A.Gramz

Quote from: Cuda Cody on March 28, 2017, 06:41:43 PM
That hot water pressure washer is a great idea!  And it looks like it did even a better job then I can do with a torch and putty knife.   :bradsthumb:

I agree on better job and no tar burning fumes looks like a win win. 

Aar1064

It actually worked really good and as you know some spots were really thick. On these areas, I'd let the hot water soften it up then put the pressure on it.

Goggles and face sock are a must. The undercoating is being pulverized into fine sandy particles and it gets all over you because of all the directions the water takes as your spraying past all,the holes and crevices.

I covered entire car in plastic and taped up all the rubber plug holes as best I could to keep so much water from getting in it.

nsmall

It will not be on a rotisserie so pressure washer is a no go.

I'm less worried about the underside as it looks real good.  The wheel wells look like the real challenge.

Has anyone ever tried the heat gun option as the last thing I need is a fire with the torch?  :help: Then again the car will be a shell when I strip the undercoating.