Main Menu

Undercoating

Started by Mrbill426, May 17, 2021, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Is this area supposed to be (factory) under coated; blackened; both?  If so when was it applied, before or after the k- member and engine were installed?

Cuda Cody

You can still some some of the old under coating in that photo you posted.

anlauto

Yea, Dave Waldon's Challenger is pretty much the best example on the internet... :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Ok so it wasn't applied to all surfaces under there.  I was confused by the engineering drawings that appear to show it all blackened out either by paint or undercoating.

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 17, 2021, 02:34:01 PM
You can still some some of the old under coating in that photo you posted.

headejm

My 1970 Challenger is a factory undercoat car. This is what I did to the front suspension area to mimic what was on the car originally. I didn't remove any of the factory undercoating, I just followed RestoRick's instructions and sprayed directly over the original undercoating. It is my understanding that the factory worker held up cardboard to block the areas that they didn't want under coated. Would assume that no two cars are exactly alike.

Mrbill426

Thanks.  I am sure there are were variances but it appears there was a common practice of avoiding the shock towers and upper control arm mounting areas.

Appreciate the help and pictures guys!  :bigthumb:

Quote from: headejm on May 17, 2021, 03:32:49 PM
My 1970 Challenger is a factory undercoat car. This is what I did to the front suspension area to mimic what was on the car originally. I didn't remove any of the factory undercoating, I just followed RestoRick's instructions and sprayed directly over the original undercoating. It is my understanding that the factory worker held up cardboard to block the areas that they didn't want under coated. Would assume that no two cars are exactly alike.

R/T's 4 R/P

A bit off the undercoating topic, but depending on SPD and car color, shouldn't the frame rails be blacked out, as would have been done when the front grill area and pinch weld would have been done?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

Mrbill426

Good question

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on May 17, 2021, 03:58:17 PM
A bit off the undercoating topic, but depending on SPD and car color, shouldn't the frame rails be blacked out, as would have been done when the front grill area and pinch weld would have been done?

headejm

FE5CUDA

All Hamtramck car were sprayed with "sound deadener" in the front/rear wheel wells.  Unlike Hamtramck, ALL LA built cars were sprayed with black paint instead of "sound deadener".

dhh

Seems like this would be a lot easier if the car was all black to begin with  :pokeeye:

Mrbill426

No it's not.  Not sure what they meant by "hidden"... the area is "hidden" from view therefore leave it body color?  Are they referring to the engine compartment side or is that an "x-ray" view of the wheel well?  The front blackout behind the grill makes sense though; I assume it is a dead flat black.

Quote from: headejm on May 17, 2021, 08:53:53 PM
The engineering drawing is not exactly clear on that point.

https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Black_Out_Front_End.pdf

R/T's 4 R/P

I would say that any original brighter color cars (think cowl blackout placement) that I have had or seen that were 70's, had the lower frame rails painted in the front wheel wells.
When I was newer into E bodies I thought that it was dirt, or undercoating, but later realized it was black.
As it is by the front wheel, stone chips easily wore off that thin coat of paint.
Looking at any car without it, the bright frame rail really stands out.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT