Main Menu

What are you using for a hood prop?

Started by Katfish, March 23, 2019, 04:15:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

I have a TA hood with no springs so I need to prop the hood open.
I have the bent steel rods to go in both hinges for when I need the hood open longer.
I also use a 6 foot 3/4" piece of PVC to quick work under the hood, which is perfect.
Problem is the 6" is too long to carry in trunk.
So I guess I'm looking for a 2-piece rod.

What is everyone else doing?

dave73

Couldn't you just shorten the pole you have so it fits in the trunk and the hood won't be open as much? I've seen a bunch of newer style cars with diecut hood props that mount to the hood latch location.

Brads70

You could get shorter poles with hood pins mounted on the end  and holes in the other end that slip over the existing hood pins. , the tubing/poles will need a slight bend to them to match the angle when the hood is up.
I've also just used the "bent steel rods" in the hinge.

IRON MAN

Get a telescopic pole the type that are used in door jambs to hang clothes on. A extendable camera tripod leg will work too. I made two rods like Brad's. Flat stock with two bolts. Very easy to use.

IRON MAN

Summit Racing sells Ringbrother's 1970-74 e-bodies billet solid frame hood hinges for fiberglass hoods. A pair will set you back $606.93. No disclaimer whether or not the hinges will prevent hood from bowing. Part # 41704-1141NF

70/6chall

Just same old same old E-body hood hinges. Had them plated awhile back (the chrome gnome has struck again). Thanks,   Al

Katfish

I like the idea of the flat steel with bolts.
I have bent rod stock like Brad's, but it has actually popped out before, so I drilled it to add small pins.
It's not the easiest to put those hinge holders in by yourself.
I guess I'll look for some sort of telescopic pole, maybe like a pool skimmer pole or something similar.

worthywads

Here is my dowel painted plum crazy for my hood that won't stay up on it's own, been using it for around 25 years, it stays under the driver seat when not in use.

gzig5

I'm currently using a ~4' section of 1x2 lumber from the radiator support up to the latch area.  I'm on the hunt for some lighter springs to at least help lift it up even if they won't hold it.  I like the short section of pipe Worthwads has and I'm sure I'll try the bent rod in the hinge to hold it.  But don't like having the supports rattling around in the car loose, even if they are small.  Going to have to get clever.   If I was to do a two-piece version of the long prop I have now, I think I'd use 1/2" EMT electrical conduit with a coupling to join two shorter sections.  A crutch tip on each end could protect the paint.

Cudakiller70

I too like the flat bar with bolts because it will sit flat and tighter against hood hinge and less noticeable, less likely to pop out.
But I think PVC supporting the hood up front is a better idea in addition to the hood hinge flat bar. PVC would support the hood weight leveraging on the short hood hinge and prevent possibly bowing. Which depends on hood weight and amount of time left open.
Make your 6' PVC pole 2 pc with a male female threaded adapter.

@worthywads how do you like that distributor? Fits OK?

worthywads

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on March 25, 2019, 09:24:40 AM

@worthywads how do you like that distributor? Fits OK?

Fit's great, it's been 8-9 years since I put the new motor in with it, it was pretty close while dropping the motor in but no problem.  I might have gone a different route if I had an existing distributor that I wanted to use, but since I was starting from scratch the DUI seemed like an easy plug and play and it was.  Totally happy with it even if some wouldn't put such an atrocity on their own vehicle.   :-[

moparcar

I've liked the one they have on the Hotchkis E-Max Challenger.

Wes

Katfish

Lots of good info, at this point I think I'll make a 2-piece PVC pole that screws together.
Simple enough and will only cost $10.
Hopefully I'll never need it, but I want something to keep in the trunk.
I'll keep the 6' PVC pole in the corner of the garage.