Main Menu

off color splotch

Started by GoMangoBoys, December 17, 2020, 10:20:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

We had excessive orange peel in our clear coat when we painted on Sunday.  I had the gun pressure set too low.  To correct this, we sanded the clear coat with 800 to smooth out the orange peel and re-sprayed the clear.  We have one spot in the center of the LH quarter panel where we may have sanded thru the clear into the base.  I did not think it would be visible after the new clear was applied, but it now appears as a small splotch about 2.5- 3 inches long.  It is VERY conspicuous.  I really hate to just live with it.  What is the easiest way to fix this? I am no expert here, but I am thinking that I have 2 realistic options.
1.  Sand the region with 800.  Spray some base in that area to cover the splotch.  Spray the region with 2 coats of clear.  Smooth out the clear when cutting and buffing.
2.  Sand the entire section of the quarter panel from front to back, from the body line up to the top corner.  Do a soft masking at the body line and the top edge of the panel.  Spray base and then clear on that section of the panel.  All the way front to back from the body line up to the corner.

We had sanded thru to the primer on the windshield post and had to re-spray the base before the clear.  The last picture shows what I mean by a soft masking.  The curled up paper edge taped down in the back makes for a masking that does not leave a hard line.

Opinions are desired here as I have little experience.
Thank you.

Marty

I would sand the top half of the panel with your 800. Mask off the Challenger with the upper quarter panel exposed. Leave about a 1/8 inch between the body line and masking tape. Apply fine line tape along the body line edges overlapping onto the masking tape. Scuff the fine line tape panel edge with a Scotch-Brite pad to assure bonding and to avoid the paint from seeping under the tape.

Clean the panel. Spot in the blemish till coverage. Stepping out each coat. Flash then re-clear. As soon as you finish the last coat of clear pull off the fine line tape. That will allow the clear coat to roll and eliminate a ragged edge.

You must cover the complete panel. Edge to edge. Spotting in a clear coat is very very difficult to do and is a whole different procedure.

Personally, I'd apply more than two coats of clear. Two coats don't give you much to cut and buff with. The standard is usually three coats.

GoMangoBoys

@Marty. Thanks.  What about blending the clear where the quarter meets the sail panel?