Main Menu

What goes here?

Started by BigmanjbMOPAR, November 29, 2020, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BigmanjbMOPAR

Looks like Emblem holes. Any ideas?
70 Cuda Project Purple Book

jimynick

No mldg that i know of, but it does look like a later-day mirror mounting hole. there's many here wiser than I and this is only my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

"Barracuda" emblem goes there, not sure what year, 73 or 74 I think.
Sheldon

BigmanjbMOPAR

70 Cuda Project Purple Book

anlauto

In my opinion, those are not factory... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Not on a 70, later year had them.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Here's the emblem Sheldon was thinking of... It's lower than your holes... I agree with Alan, those holes aren't original...

RUNCHARGER

Real cars have them higher than that artwork. That photo isn't a closeup but those holes look punched not drilled on my screen (wrong, I blew it up and they aren't drilled, but not factory punched either).
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 29, 2020, 09:00:36 PM
Real cars have them higher than that artwork. That photo isn't a closeup but those holes look punched not drilled on my screen.

I was thinking that too, but it's been a long time since I've seen a car with the emblems in that location... That was the only picture my searching produced...

Does the door have a door jamb sticker?   Are the outer window cat whiskers clipped on? Or screwed on?

Okay, a real car.....

RUNCHARGER

Anything after 70 looks all the same to me. Here's a 71, and I'm not even a 71 foamer! You would think Alan would know this stuff... Ha, ha.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

Randy, yes maybe it was the 71's I remember seeing there. They were not there on a 70 though. I have a really good Cuda/Challenger book downstairs somewhere and I remember there are a couple snaggle tooth grille cars with the emblems up near the mirrors, one was a light green, 340 shaker car that was really nice and looked to be restored properly. I'll see if I can find it, mind you "restored" cars you never know if they're right or not.

Actually I take it back about the OP's holes being punched, they look punched alright but with a nail or something after I finally blew them up. Weld them up and be happy.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 29, 2020, 09:20:53 PM
Randy, yes maybe it was the 71's I remember seeing there. They were not there on a 70 though. I have a really good Cuda/Challenger book downstairs somewhere and I remember there are a couple snaggle tooth grille cars with the emblems up near the mirrors, one was a light green, 340 shaker car that was really nice and looked to be restored properly. I'll see if I can find it, mind you "restored" cars you never know if they're right or not.

Actually I take it back about the OP's holes being punched, they look punched alright but with a nail or something after I finally blew them up. Weld them up and be happy.

Yup, restored doesn't mean much, finding original is getting tough... 71 apparently looks promising.... Like you say, weld them up, 70 doesn't use them... But that still leaves the question about cat whiskers....

Skdmark

Look kinda high even for a 71
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

larry4406

The Barracuda emblem on the doors was a stick-on via adhesive tape. No holes for studs. At least that's what my 71 has. Mine is not a gran coupe.

Here is the engineering drawing showing the location and adhesive backed emblem.
https://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Decal_Barracuda_Door_71.pdf

Dakota

It's hard to be sure looking at the picture, but it appears that the spacing on the mystery holes is pretty close to that of the stock side view mirror location.  Maybe the mirror was moved or replaced at some point?