Main Menu

What holds Challenger gas cap trim ring?

Started by Katfish, February 20, 2018, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

What holds the SS trim ring that sits under the Challenger flip top gas cap in place.
The trim ring fits the body contour perfectly, but there's no downward pressure from the flip top assembly to put pressure on it.  So mine just rattles around.

I wondered why there was goobs of RTV under the trim ring when I removed it, that was the only thing keeping it from sliding around.

Brads70

I just bent the inner tabs down so when it tightens down with the lid assembly they are tight.
( drawn in red)  Might have been in only 4  spots....it was ten years ago.

1 Wild R/T

The black outer portion of the flip cap should.... Somethings not right with yours...

RUNCHARGER

Like Brad says: Bend the tabs a bit so the cap housing puts pressure on the ring.
Sheldon

Katfish

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 20, 2018, 06:36:57 PM
The black outer portion of the flip cap should.... Somethings not right with yours...

I would have thought that too,  but the 4 feet of the flip top assembly have nothing to press on.
The trim ring is slotted where the feet/screws are.

Chryco Psycho

Can you make a sheet metal ring to sit below the gas cap that will pinch the ring in place ?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Katfish on February 20, 2018, 07:05:42 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 20, 2018, 06:36:57 PM

I would have thought that too,  but the 4 feet of the flip top assembly have nothing to press on.
The trim ring is slotted where the feet/screws are.

I've never owned a reproduction flip top cap or trim ring, on originals the black outer part does hold the trim ring, and yes the area where the four feet go are cut out but the trim ring is still held securely...

HEMICUDA

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 20, 2018, 07:02:53 PM
Like Brad says: Bend the tabs a bit so the cap housing puts pressure on the ring.

That's exactly how the original ring is held in tight.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: HEMICUDA on February 20, 2018, 09:34:05 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 20, 2018, 07:02:53 PM

That's exactly how the original ring is held in tight.

I've never had to bend any tabs, I agree the tabs are what secures the ring but they don't need to be bent...

headejm

Katfish

I'll have to take another look tonight.
I expected the ring to be retained by the screws, didn't notice the tab sections that hang under the body of the flip top.

7212Mopar

Mine came loose when I replaced the gas tank. I mask the surrounding body and apply the 3M adhesive I used for the headliner in minute amounts, wipe clean with thinner and held it for about a minute. It sit flush and tight.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

Edited my post with a picture.... I hear they are worth a thousand words?  :)

Katfish

Brad, thanks so much, you nailed it.
I must have quarter panel issues, I bent the tabs almost 90 degrees and they just touch.
I added some silicon behind the bezel and tightened it up and all is well.

Appreciate the help!

Brads70

Quote from: Katfish on February 21, 2018, 03:51:12 PM
Brad, thanks so much, you nailed it.
I must have quarter panel issues, I bent the tabs almost 90 degrees and they just touch.
I added some silicon behind the bezel and tightened it up and all is well.

Appreciate the help!

Glad to be helpful! Wow 90 degrees  that sure seems excessive? I remember reading about replacement quarter panels having issues with the recessed area around the gas cap not being right , I think it was not deep enough?