Main Menu

What is this part?

Started by NWOBHM, September 05, 2018, 06:29:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

NWOBHM

I was looking at this car for potential purchase, however I noticed a hole cut out in the radiator support. (This hole is cut on both sides of the support). I know I can get a replacement radiator support but my question is - what is that piece that the radiator support is attached to and was also cut into? I can't find anything resembling that online, and is it a part that can be replaced? Please see yellow circled area.

6bblgt

home installed RAM-AIR!  'cuda, '71-'74?

the circled area is the fender & appears to be chewed up on the edge

the top radiator core support & bot the LH & RH sides appear to have been cut to install the RAM AIR ducts/hoses

this is what the engine compartment side of that corner looks like - the 2-holes (red pentastars) are fender mounting points

:thinking: unless it's a "numbers" restoration, this would be an opportune time to upgrade to a 26" radiator

Bullitt-

year & model may help   here's a 70 challenger & 

73 challenger

70 barracuda upside down

71 barracuda

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Bullitt-

Just ran across this of a barracuda, doesn't say what year, I think what your questioning is part of the fender assembly that overlaps the radiator support. I don't see this part being offered separately. 

https://scontent.fhsv1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40684227_10214945350645593_982954534714212352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=45239c910548160381a485c957728c63&oe=5C2C591C

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

NWOBHM

I'm sorry I forgot to mention - it's a 1974 Cuda, so does that mean I will have to replace both fenders? I knew I had to replace radiator support but now this doesn't look like a good idea...

Slotts

The front end of what is cut off held the lanyard and hood pin. Unless you plan on adding those, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

Rich G.

From your pic it looks like they might have just cut the radiator support and just nipped the fender. Here's a pic with the fender unbolted. You might be able to trim the fender to make it look good if they didn't cut off to much.

Rich G.

Can't figure out why the pictures come out sideways sometimes!

anlauto

I agree, I don't think your fender is cut that much, if at all ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

NWOBHM

Thank you for all the replies!