Main Menu

what paint?

Started by cuda hunter, November 27, 2019, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

so, I"m going to eventually paint my challenger fc7.

I have some other metal that I need to paint and want to do the same process on that metal as what I'm going to do on the car.
I've sprayed an hvlp in the past, nothing show quality. 
My goal is just to get the process started and become familiar with prep, primer and paint.  I don't need to cut and buff this metal.

Is there a video or a list of what I should be using? 

thanks
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JS29

@cuda hunter Let's start by asking what brand of products are you planning to use. I use Exalta (formerly Dupont). but PPG is a good brand as well.

cuda hunter

I"m open to brands.  Who has the correct color?  Or the accepted current color?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

torredcuda

and single stage or base/ clear?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

JS29

Its been said PPG is the most accurate.

1 Wild R/T

tparker

Not sure what your asking? Is it a pain specific question, or are you asking for vids and info on painting process?

If the latter, there are lots of vids.  I used a lot of Kevin Tetz stuff from Eastwood. He has lots of good videos there. I found a couple other ones too. House of Kolor has some specific painting ones that were dated but had good info. The Eastwood ones were probably the best since I could find lots on metal work, prepping, painting, cut and buffing etc. There are probably a hundred other ones.

cuda hunter

bare with me guys.  I'm a total novice with paint.

I would assume ppg would be the way to go then.   
The video Cody made for organisol is great but there isn't a paint video that I can find quite like that.  Am I missing a video?
I have read a lot of paint threads over the years and really I am just lost on paint due to the varying degree of opinions. 

torredcuda

First thing I would do is decide on a paint line both manufacturer and line as in base/clear, single stage, top line(more expensive) or lower line. You can order most brands online but I prefer to have a store to go to for tinting to get good match etc. I would find a stores in your area and see what brands they carry, a good painty guy can help guide you a lot and you can get all the spec sheets either in the store or online and use their guideline as to prep and paint procedure along with what you can learn here and online. I use PPG as I feel they are a high quality product, good color match and I`ve never had any issues using it although I might try some SPI products as I hear god things about them and they are less expensive but you'll still need to buy the base thru PPG as they don`t mix colors.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Marty

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 27, 2019, 11:58:38 AM
:iagree:
Quote from: JS29 on November 27, 2019, 11:35:15 AM
Its been said PPG is the most accurate.

PPG may be the most OEM accurate but I've also heard that about R-M, Matrix, Valspar, Spies/Hecker and the rest of the well-respected companies. It's the guy in the mixing room that is important. There is no room for mistakes, one gram or so off on the toner or metallic and... :o

JS29

The person behind the counter doesn't always know what they are talking about, Ask me how i know! The one mixing the formula makes a big difference.   :alan2cents: 

bentpshrods

When I painted my car I found this site -- Autobodystore.com  A lot of good info and is where I got my paint gun/misc items from.  I went with PPG bc/cc and really liked it.  When I started getting quotes for a paint job - it got scary really quick (sticker shock    :unbelievable:  )  so I decided to do it myself.  It's pretty labor intensive, have a whole new respect for people who do this all the time.  I went as far as doing engine bay,trunk and jambs but stopped there and had a pro shoot the body.  Learned a lot and enjoyed it.  FC7 can be a bit tricky--but that shiny new purple is awfully pretty.   Have fun.     

wldgtx

I have sprayed many brands, accuracy of color (as mentioned) has more to do with who is mixing vs. the counter guy or the person on the phone you are calling.  That said I have established relationships with my local suppliers to get what I want when mixing something for matching purposes, but trust the online stores for the bulk of the materials I use.

Also, when it comes to spraying a brand, the accuracy will also come from the pigments they use.  Often the more expensive has more pigmentation and thus creates more of a color to match, but NOT always.  FC7 is one of those colors that is often scrutinized, but honestly if the whole car is painted at once it's not as easy to tell unless the brand formula is way off (often a lighter color). 

Lastly, there are many who will debate this, but MY opinion is do not spend a lot of money on good paint and then use a shitty clear.  I would use more budget on clear and get something that is going to lay down smooth and with ease, with higher quality materials.  Oh, one more thing... I may be alone on this but I have guns that ONLY shoot clear.  I have 2 cheaper guns to shoot primer, 2 quality guns to shoot basecoat (one is strictly BC, the other is for single stage), and then one gun for clear.  Again, my most expensive gun is the clearcoat gun.

Best of luck with your project.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

Cuda Cody

With FC7 I would suggest using a base coat / Clear coat.  Single stage is really hard to spray in that color.  On the other hand, if you were going black I would suggest using single stage with a custom mix of clear and top coated with clear.  I love PPG paint and think it's the best and easiest to spray.  Stay away from any "jobber" quality paint for the exterior of your car.

Stick with 1 brand all the way through.

1 Wild R/T

@ Cuda Cody is that from the gun or has there been any color sanding?   If from the gun it looks like it laid down really nice....