Main Menu

What Wax or Polish are you using on your car?

Started by Cuda Cody, May 24, 2017, 11:02:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

What's everyone using for polishes and or waxes these days?  What are the good ones on the market?

And how often to you apply it?

blown motor

I used Meguiar's Mirror Glaze polish and wax for a few years and it really brought out the shine on my old black paint. This past winter I just went with Turtle Wax Black Detailer. It's spray on and wipe off. I think the shine isn't quite a good but close. It likely won't last as long but it was a lot less work.
I doubt there's a noticeable difference between similar products of different brands.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Marc70challenger

I used to use the expensive Carnuba stuff.  Got tired of spending hours and hours waxing.

Went to Turtle Wax Ice.  Does it shine as good as old stuff ... almost.

But great thing is you can use it on rubber, chrome, aluminum, etc.  And it does put a coat of protection on whatever you put it on.  I used it on the deuce coupe which has mixture (and lots) of chrom and aluminum.

So I bath the car with the liquid wax - then rub it down and off.  Then through season I use the spray bottle over whole car every couple weeks ... can do car in 20 minutes.

JS29

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Blake@diyhemi.com

Oh man, I can go on with this topic for hours as I am somewhat of a detailing hobbyist.

My preferred products are Adams polishes and Chemical Guys. All of these products are detailer grade and have amazing scents.

Adams polishes products that are bar none the best to have in your arsenal:

1.Tire and Rubber Cleaner: This is the only product I know of that gives tires that brand new black look and not greasy. It removes the brown oxidation commonly found when a car sits in storage a long time. It also works miracles on bed liners in pickups

2. Carpet and upholstery cleaner: It has removed the toughest stains that typical turtle wax and local auto part store cleaners cannot scratch the surface on. It's like a magic eraser

3. VRT (Vinyl Rubber & Trim): By far, the best interior and exterior plastics/vinyl detailer. It deeply cleans and restores the natural moisture while adding UV protection. It makes dashes and plastics look new and NOT GREASY. (Smells like black cherry)

4. Color correction and buffing compounds: Very good products that work on par with commercial grade 3M products but with a great smell and easier to remove. (scents range from cherry to bubble gum and beyond)

Chemical Guys must haves:

1. Leather cleaner and conditioner: The cleaner gets trapped dirt and grime out, especially noticeable on lighter colored leathers! The conditioner has been the most effective at restoring the soft pliable feel to the leather and reducing/removing wrinkles or creases. It has made my daily driver leather feel like Italian leather again. Soft and forgiving.

2. Stripper scent air freshener: Funny name but seriously good smelling interior scent. Smells like a delightful mix of baby powder and mild perfume. Some say it smells like a strip club, I think it just smells "clean."  :haha: My wife actually loves the smell and I spray it in her car when I detail it.

3. Mr. Pink car wash: high suds/high lubricity car wash. This soap with a foam cannon or two bucket method will not leave swirls in your paint and will give a flawless shine with just washing your car. I highly recommend the foam cannon method as it grabs dirt and drops it off the car prior to using a wash mit. (smells like bubble gum)

4. Grit guard: If you don't have one and don't use the two bucket method, you are asking for swirl marks.

5. Matte Detailer: Hands down the best cleaner/detail spray for Matte finishes such as our blackout tail panels and T/A cars with a ton of Matte black. It protects/ cleans matte paint/vinyl without leaving greasy splotchy marks. If you have a TA car, you need this along with their Matte wash. Only use Matte wash if you have large amounts of matte colors like Orgainsol. Other washes have silicones or waxes within them that will leave splotches and greasy marks or even white wax like marks.

6. Maxi suds II Grape: Great car wash that foams like shaving cream and smells like grape soda

Thanks @Cuda Cody , now you have me wanting to make tutorial videos for you all :vipermanhiding:
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Cuda Cody

Thanks for the help guys.   :twothumbsup:  @Blake@diyhemi.com  you sound like an expert and really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.   :worship:  I'm going to try some of the products you recommend.  I didn't even ask, but vinyl and leather was something I've wondered about too and the Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and conditioner sounds perfect.  Looks like they are having a memorial day sale too.  How's the smell on the Leather Conditioner?  Is it Stripper good?  ;)  Or should I still get the Stripper smell?

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: Cuda Cody on May 25, 2017, 07:27:58 AM
Thanks for the help guys.   :twothumbsup:  @Blake@diyhemi.com  you sound like an expert and really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.   :worship:  I'm going to try some of the products you recommend.  I didn't even ask, but vinyl and leather was something I've wondered about too and the Chemical Guys Leather cleaner and conditioner sounds perfect.  Looks like they are having a memorial day sale too.  How's the smell on the Leather Conditioner?  Is it Stripper good?  ;)  Or should I still get the Stripper smell?

Haha @Cuda Cody, unfortunately the leather cleaner and conditioner are leather scented to amplify the fresh leather experience. You should still get the stripper scent as it is wonderful to the extent that words cannot describe  :D

The leather cleaner and conditioner combo will make a noticeable difference the first time you use it, but gets better with time. After 3 applications, I get routine compliments on my truck interior. People have asked if I've had my seats redone in my 9 year old truck.
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

blown motor

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on May 25, 2017, 08:01:53 AM
You should still get the stripper scent as it is wonderful to the extent that words cannot describe  :D

You must be going to some really upscale strip joints!  :haha:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

303 Mopar

Quote from: blown motor on May 25, 2017, 08:20:46 AM
You should still get the stripper scent as it is wonderful to the extent that words cannot describe  :D

Does it include glitter too?  Should I bring $1's?

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 303 Mopar on May 25, 2017, 11:12:47 AM
Quote from: blown motor on May 25, 2017, 08:20:46 AM

Does it include glitter too?  Should I bring $1's?

:haha: :haha:

When I first found out about it, my friend and I asked if it smelled like "Low self esteem and daddy issues"

But it actually does smell good. Not sure how close it is to smelling like a strip joint :lurking:

But it is a funny name and usually draws a few smiles when people ask what it is, lol
1970 AAR Cuda 
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

303 Mopar

Maybe a subset question:  What do you guys use to detail/clean up your engine?  Oil stains, manifold, heads (aluminum and iron), radiator, etc. 

Cuda Cody

I order a bunch of stuff so I'll let you guys know how it works. 

As for engines, I've just used my detailing stuff that I use on paint, but i don't put a lot of miles on and they don't get real dirty.

RUNCHARGER

Thanks Blake: Guys like me just don't have the time to experiment with the different products. I still have a bunch of Meguires left but am always on the lookout for something better.
Sheldon

76orangewagon

I've been using Wizard shine master, it goes on easy and comes off even easier. It removes swirl marks and leaves a great shine.

http://wizardsproducts.com/shine-master-16-oz/