Main Menu

What's everybodies welder setup

Started by A.Gramz, January 24, 2017, 03:57:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

Welder Lincoln 255 magnum 300 whip
Wire solid 0.035 s6
75/20 shielding gas

I've been having a under cut issue.  So I'm going to try 0.023 wire. Just woundering what everybody else is using.   

Cuda Cody

What is an Under Cut issue? 

For sheet metal 23 is pretty good.  I've used that in the past.  35 is about as thick as you'll want to go with sheet metal.   :alan2cents:

A.Gramz

http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/14250/img/14250_146_3.jpg

If I slow the weld pass/hold time down I just blow through same as if I turn wire speed up and the heats as low as it will go to weld decent

Cuda Cody

Are you stitch welding sheet metal?

When I weld thicker metal be aware of where you point the heat.  Changing the angle and direction of the welder tip can change where the majority of the heat is pointed.   :thinking:

A.Gramz

Stitch weld same as pulse weld?

I usually point slight angle back towards last spot

It turns out ok a light skim of filler and it will be good enough for a driver. I just want to work my way to a all metal repair. 

Cuda Cody

Stitch welding is a series of small tack welds that keep the sheet metal from warping from the heat.  It also makes it easier to not blow through the metal as the heat does not build up.  I haven't watched this video, but I bet he'll do some sort of series of small tack burst welds.  I like to stitch weld a small tack, then move 1" to 2" down and do it again.  After working to the end, I'll come back and start again building up a full weld.  Takes time, but really works well on sheet metal.   :alan2cents:

Quote from: A.Gramz on January 24, 2017, 04:49:47 PM
Stitch weld same as pulse weld?

I usually point slight angle back towards last spot

It turns out ok a light skim of filler and it will be good enough for a driver. I just want to work my way to a all metal repair.

Cudakiller70

.023 will give you much better control of the weld puddle.
Try tilting the gun at a flatter angle to the work and pushing the weld.
Pushing should give you a flatter weld and pulling should give a taller weld, but everyone seems to have their own variation.
Don't know your machine, but you probably need a new drive roll for the smaller wire and contact tips.
You can use the same wire liner for .035
75% Argon/25% CO2 is the gas to use.
Fit up is important take the time to get the smallest gap you can especially when out of position weld.
Try not to grind the metal edges it just reduces thickness.
If you have a gap you can use copper as a backer, just flatten some copper pipe.
Varying the wire length out of the tip can make the weld a lite colder as you move away from the weld with your gun and pushing the gun closer to the weld it gets a bit hotter.

screamindriver

I've got two different welders...For automotive sheet metal I use a lincoln 110v mig with .023 wire...I can turn the heat way down for any thin gauge I'm welding.. The 220v mig with .035 is used for thicker gauge steel and it has a spoolgun for welding aluminum...Those two pretty much cover everything I need to do...I've been thinking about getting a TIG but other than making a more eye appealing part I really don't need one....

Cuda Cody

You got two good set ups there and can pretty much weld anything you need with that set up!   :clapping:

Quote from: screamindriver on January 24, 2017, 07:28:29 PM
I've got two different welders...For automotive sheet metal I use a lincoln 110v mig with .023 wire...I can turn the heat way down for any thin gauge I'm welding.. The 220v mig with .035 is used for thicker gauge steel and it has a spoolgun for welding aluminum...Those two pretty much cover everything I need to do...I've been thinking about getting a TIG but other than making a more eye appealing part I really don't need one....

71GranCoupe

Undercutting is a sign of moving out of the puddle area too quick, not holding the feed wire there long enough. Sometimes you may have to move out, but then come back and fill in the low spots. Yes, it gets a bit touchy with the thin metal, but as it has been said many times, practice and practice and practice. Clean metal is also a must.  :cheers:

Cuda Cody

That reminds me of a good habit to get in to.... hold the welder in place (not welding) for a few seconds after you are done welding.  That keeps the pocket of gas around the weld longer.  When you pull the welder away fast afterwords it pulls the pocket of gas with it letting impurities in to the area.   :alan2cents:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 24, 2017, 10:34:59 PM
That reminds me of a good habit to get in to.... hold the welder in place (not welding) for a few seconds after you are done welding.  That keeps the pocket of gas around the weld longer.  When you pull the welder away fast afterwords it pulls the pocket of gas with it letting impurities in to the area.   :alan2cents:

YUP 8)

Cuda Cody

By the way, nice job on the weld!!   :clapping:

Quote from: A.Gramz on January 24, 2017, 03:57:45 PM
Welder Lincoln 255 magnum 300 whip
Wire solid 0.035 s6
75/20 shielding gas

I've been having a under cut issue.  So I'm going to try 0.023 wire. Just woundering what everybody else is using.

Cudakiller70

Some times what helps too, is before you flip your hood down and pull the trigger is to give it a dry run. Helps position better and to get more comfortable if needed and a little muscle memory for a better weld.

A.Gramz

I have some parts comming in to repair the feeder.  Hopefully they show up b4 the weekend so I can give the smaller wire a go. And try to refine my technique a bit 

Thanks guys  :cheers: