Main Menu

wheel opening moulds

Started by 70rtse, February 15, 2019, 12:35:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70rtse

Hi guys just wanted to ask of anyone could tell me what 1970 dodge challenger  wheel opening mould were made of from factory aluminium or stanless steel.
I brought a set of moulds quite a fuw years ago installed the left hand side they fit ok but are about dull are they ment to be highly polished.

Brads70

Bright anodized aluminum I believe. You can't polish them or you will take off the finish.  :cheers:

blown motor

So are you saying @Brads70 that there's really no what to shine up anodized aluminium ?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

76orangewagon

Strip off the anodized coating and polish up the aluminum. 

Brads70

Quote from: blown motor on February 15, 2019, 02:52:10 AM
So are you saying @Brads70 that there's really no what to shine up anodized aluminium ?

Nothing very aggressive , otherwise you can take off the finish. Maybe there is someone out there producing these in bare aluminum with no bright anodizing?  :dunno:

750-h2

I have a set of NOS wheel lip mouldings. They were never shiny like chrome, same finish as hood or trunk mouldings.

anlauto

:iagree: They're not "chrome-like" shiny.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70rtse

dodj

Quote from: 750-h2 on February 15, 2019, 05:20:53 AM
I have a set of NOS wheel lip mouldings. They were never shiny like chrome, same finish as hood or trunk mouldings.
Interesting. I bought a complete set from my local dodge dealer back in the '80's. They are very shiny. On my car for over 20 years and still very shiny. Don't remember what year they were intended for though?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71vert340

Just thinking. Could the clear film that many install to protect paint against rock chips be applied to moldings to make them have a "gloss" finish?
Terry

RUNCHARGER

Well sort of. The molding would have to be polished first and then the clear coat will have a hard time adhering. I agree the original moldings were moderately but shiny not like chrome.
I think if the OP wants them polished like chrome he can do so and remove the anodizing, then touch up the polish when they are installed on the car every few months or so. The anodizing just keeps the finish so you don't have to repolish them.
Sheldon

71vert340

Here's what I was talking about. I had the clear 3M wrap installed on the paint of my car but they also offer it in a chrome finish. I wonder if it could be installed over the aluminum, or any chrome on the car for protection and looks. The rear wheel opening moldings on my Challenger get nicks from gravel just in front of the rear wheels. On my car, if the vinyl wrap gets a nick in it, I just touch it up with clear nail polish.  The Chrome bumpers and aluminum wheel opening moldings are off my 74 Charger right now and I'm thinking of hauling them over the the 3M wrap dealer/installer to see if this is something that would work. Clear on the wheel moldings and chrome on the bumpers. Anyone done this? I believe the 3M wrap material is offered in flat, satin and gloss vinyl. A possible option for the ops wheel opening moldings if it can be done.
See this.  https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/graphics-signage-us/1080-wrap-film-series/chrome/
Terry

dodj

Looking at my mouldings a few minutes ago, they are shiny, but not as mirror like as my bumpers.
Nowhere near as dull as a brushed or natural finish.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on February 15, 2019, 10:31:22 AM
Looking at my mouldings a few minutes ago, they are shiny, but not as mirror like as my bumpers.
Nowhere near as dull as a brushed or natural finish.

I just installed a set this morning, I would agree with that description 100%  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Quote from: 76orangewagon on February 15, 2019, 03:28:54 AM
Strip off the anodized coating and polish up the aluminum.

I was thinking of trying this with my top of door trim, not sure how long it would last until it needed polishing again. Doing it on the car would be hard.