Main Menu

Which rear valance?

Started by Squire Edgar, November 22, 2019, 04:57:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Squire Edgar

I'm looking to get a new rear valance with the exhaust cutouts and am not sure which one to get. My 73 Challenger has what I believe is a 1970 or 71 rear non cutout valance on it now as it does not have the bump out on the license plate area (my plate mounts flush with the valance). When I look at new reproduction 1970 AMD valances it says you can order with brackets or without, I don't have brackets. My valance mounts directly to quarter panels and attaches also behind license plate. I'm going to convert to the tucked in bumper so I would not want the bracket on valance to move out plate. Long story a little shorter  :dunno: If I order a 1970 rear valance will it fit my 73? And do I need to order brackets?

JS29

If you are tucking the bumper in, than no. the license plate bracket is there for the extended bumper's on 73-4. :alan2cents: 

anlauto

If the valance you have mounts in the center as well with two screws and has no license plate adaptor bracket then you have what's considered a 1971-72 rear valance. To the best of my knowledge no one makes a reproduction with the center mounting bracket WITHOUT the license plate bracket....at least AMD doesn't. The Dynacorn one has the center bracket as well as the license plate bracket.

The most common reproduction rear valance uses two separate center mounting brackets, one on each side of the gas tank. These bolt to the car, then the valance mounts to them. Can you run with out them ? Likely but your valance may flop around in the center or vibrate. Now is your 1973 car equipped for the mounting of these two 1970 brackets ?...I'm not sure.

I'm currently restoring a 1971 Challenger....I drilled out the spot welds and removed the center mounting bracket from the rusty rear valance and welded it on to the brand new AMD 1970 rear valance. You could do this OR buy the Dynacorn one and remove the license plate bracket (best option)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Squire Edgar

Would these be the bracket holes you speak of on either side of gas tank?

anlauto

Yes, AMD sells the brackets separately as well  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Squire Edgar

Am I missing something? I'm on my second AMD panel with brackets and am not impressed, the bottom holes for the center mounting brackets are a good half inch different placement wise so as the brackets that they sent with them won't match up on the one side. Is this what I'm just going to have to accept or am I getting a bad batch of two?

anlauto

It's a reproduction part, it may need some manipulation...I'm not seeing that big of a difference in your photos.

Try attaching the two brackets to the valance first, keeping the bolts loose...then try attaching the brackets to the car keep everything loose.
Tighten up each side of the valance, then move on to tighten the center brackets  :dunno:

Squire Edgar

I guess I can give it a shot, when I hold the brackets up to the holes one side lines up perfect, the other side, one will line up and the other one won't even be visible to the hole. I fully understand aftermarket parts for a 45+ year old car are going to potentially need to be massaged to work, but I somewhat expect the bracket that they made should fit into the valance that they made. They should probably not use nearsighted workers to drill their parts.

Burdar

Don't make it complicated.  All you need to do is buy the rear valance with the center mounting bracket.  If it comes with the 73-74 license plate extension, just drill out those spot welds and remove it.  :alan2cents: