Main Menu

Which white is the correct white?

Started by DamianC, July 12, 2020, 06:51:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DamianC

Hi guys.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a '71 Challenger. I am close to paint now. I have already edged doors, trunk and engine bay in W1 Spinnaker White. I read up on this color and I understood it was available as a color for that year. Thing is, although I don't dislike the color it does look quite beige. That's not a show stopper for me, but a buddy said that a '71 should be Brite White! Now I need clarification as to whether a '71 can be Spinnaker. I do the work myself and it would be a pain but not a massive hassle to scuff and re edge what I have already done (everything is apart and easy to work on). I suppose my question is what are your thoughts guys? Do Spinnaker white Challengers look too beige in the flesh, and would you go for a brighter white? I really don't want to paint the car a color that it really should not be. Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

In 1970 EW1 is Spinnaker White, the only white listed
1n 1971 EW1 is still available but so is GW3 Bright White...

FWIW The GW3 is much brighter

6bblgt

for 1970 EW1 was available on all body styles
for 1971 the new GW3 was available on A,B & E-bodies & EW1 was available on C-bodies * it would've been a "special order" (Y39) to have EW1 paint on an E-body

anlauto

Yup, I agree a 1971 should be bright white  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

So for later years did they go back to EW1 on E-bodies?  I ask because our '72 came in that color.

:wrenching:

Quote from: anlauto on July 12, 2020, 08:21:21 PM
Yup, I agree a 1971 should be bright white  :twothumbsup:

DamianC

Thanks very much for your insight guys. I will be rolling her out in the sun for the first time in 2 years today. I will take a look at what W1 Spinnaker White looks like outside, and make my decision.  Here's a link to the work so far if anyone wants to take a look.   https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8gjp5oUhWe77i8FngervhmxDhlO18pM1Pkl-9d58cWeMEpuuW-a3NqSUZszknew?key=cUZPVHFabWh5d1d1NXhDdFViaHB0WVdxTVN6bTFB

Mrbill426

@DamianC that's a hell of a project; looking good  :twothumbsup:
Curious as to what paint you used on the rear axle housing?

Quote from: DamianC on July 19, 2020, 07:28:52 AM
Thanks very much for your insight guys. I will be rolling her out in the sun for the first time in 2 years today. I will take a look at what W1 Spinnaker White looks like outside, and make my decision.  Here's a link to the work so far if anyone wants to take a look.   https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8gjp5oUhWe77i8FngervhmxDhlO18pM1Pkl-9d58cWeMEpuuW-a3NqSUZszknew?key=cUZPVHFabWh5d1d1NXhDdFViaHB0WVdxTVN6bTFB

DamianC

Quote from: Mrbill426 on July 19, 2020, 09:39:03 AM
@DamianC that's a hell of a project; looking good  :twothumbsup:
Curious as to what paint you used on the rear axle housing?

Hi MrBrill. I used BASF UNO single stage. Hard as nails and great gloss and build. It's the same paint I have/am using for the exterior.

Quote from: DamianC on July 19, 2020, 07:28:52 AM

cuda hunter

That was awesome to go through what you have done to the car.
I say make a separate thread with those details.  Love the work.  All that welding is just awesome and that is quite the talent you have.   
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

DamianC

Quote from: cuda hunter on July 19, 2020, 09:56:27 AM
That was awesome to go through what you have done to the car.
I say make a separate thread with those details.  Love the work.  All that welding is just awesome and that is quite the talent you have.

Thanks man!

6bblgt

that's a lot of rust repair without a sandblaster in sight  :huh:  hope that works out for you

DamianC

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 19, 2020, 06:02:47 PM
that's a lot of rust repair without a sandblaster in sight  :huh:  hope that works out for you

She's got real solid bones. Was in storage for almost 30 years. Other than a few typical punky spots shes good - nothing I couldn't handle with flappy disc and patience! I have a small parts blaster - and that creates about as much mess as I can take lol.

750-h2

Looking good! I like the white you used!